View Single Post
Old 4th December 2010, 03:25
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey
Re: Bio info needed on Hptm. von Klitzing, Kdr III./StG51 Poland and WC

Hello,

Further to this line of research: including Maj. Klitzing, there were seven Ju87s of III./StG51 shot down in the same action around mid-morning on May 17th, 1940. Three of the crews were either rescued by German forces or became POWs. The others were killed. Does any of our board readers know of ANY Ju87B crashes in the general area north or northeast of Landrecies France, or photos that could be from these crashes? I'd sure like to hear about them if there is, including about modern aviation archaeology that might concern any of these Luftwaffe losses.

I currently have in the EOE DB photos of a 9 Staffel Ju87B that FL and was abandoned that could be one of these Stukas. However, the crew of the 9 Staffel loss reportedly bailed out, If the crew did NOT bail out, this could be that a/c. If the crew did bail out, there should be a crash site somewhere in the Liniers area.

"9./StG51 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Hurricanes of No.151 Squadron in combat north-east of Landrecies and reported crashed near Liniers 10.30 a.m. Possibly that attacked by P/O Hamar. FF Lt Wilhelm Schwarze and BF Uffz Julius Dörflinger believed baled out and both rescued unhurt. Aircraft 100% write-off.

I have a photo of another Ju87B with a "6G" code crash-landed into some trees and bushes, with the center section burned out that also could be either one of these fatalities, or one of two 7 Staffel crew that was captured WIA. The burn damage could well have been initiated by the crew after the landing.

The two 7 Staffel crews that became POWs were:

"7./StG51 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Hurricanes of No.151 Squadron in combat north-east of Landrecies 10.30 a.m. Possibly one of those claimed by S/L Donaldson. FF Oberlt Walter Klemme (Staffelkapitän)and BF Uffz August Jaspers both captured wounded – later released. Aircraft 100% write-off." I note that this could obviously be 6G+AR, for which photos exist prior to any possible loss.

"7./StG51 Junkers Ju87B-1. Crash-landed damaged by Hurricanes of No.151 Squadron in combat north-east of Landrecies 10.30 a.m. Possibly that claimed by F/O Milne. FF Lt Helmut Glöckner and BF Uffz Hermann Pfauth both captured badly wounded – later released. Aircraft 100% write-off."

I note that in our loss DB that one of the 8th Staffel losses came down near Aulnoye-Aymeries.

"8./StG51 Junkers Ju87B-1. Shot down by Hurricanes of No.151 Squadron in combat north of Landrecies and reported crashed near Aulnoye-Aymeries 10.30 a.m. Possibly that claimed by P/O Bushell. FF Lt Max Rentsch believed baled out unhurt, BF Uffz Günther Feist killed. Aircraft 100% write-off. (OUR NOTE: Bock says, , Lt. Rentsch and Uffz. Feist on separate aircraft) Dispute this interpretation. Feist was with a ‘Klaus Thismar’ according to Perry but this is believed to be the ‘Kurt Thiemer’ shown above."

Surely there are photos out there somewhere of either crash sites or field graves from some of the 7 Stukas from III./StG51 that came down that day. There may also be local historical material or police or POW reports that give us more information on the events that day. Who can provide some additional help here?

Regards,

Last edited by Larry Hickey; 4th December 2010 at 03:26. Reason: Grammar