View Single Post
Old 1st December 2018, 12:41

Matheson is on a distinguished road
Re: Spitfire K9820 and others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Gleeson View Post
Hello Howard,

Thanks for the very interesting contribution. Is GC a relative ?

As far as I know this is a ‘new’ Spitfire accident to most of us. There is no F.1180 accident report and no mention of it in the 19 Squadron Operational Record Book. Some units, including 19 Sqn., were reluctant to report all their prangs. I would like to identify this Spitfire if possible. I suspect, but cannot prove, it might be K9825. 19 Squadron only reported operational sorties in their F.541 ‘Detail of Work Carried Out’ part of the ORB. K9825 is last shown flying operationally on 8 April 1940 and does not appear again until 26 May. The Form 78 aircraft history card for K9825 provides no help unfortunately.
Did GC record any flights – these would be non-operational – in K9825 between 8 April and 26 May 1940 ?

As part of my research into RAF losses during 1939-1940 for the Eagles over Europe project I am especially interested in what entries he had in his logbook for 30 August 1940 with 222 Squadron as there is much confusion in records over their aircraft and pilot match-ups. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,

Martin Gleeson.
I now have an explanation of this event.

I have recently beeen loaned GC Matheson's pilot logbooks and a large box of related air force books from his widow's collection.

Tucked inside the book, "Fighter Squadron" by Derek Palmer was a letter, a typescript page and copy of a Peter Howard-Williams photograph that included Geoffrey Matheson.

Letter from Derek Palmer to Margo Legg,

<Snip> Peter Howard-Williams did a long audio tape (it is unclear when he recorded this - H) which I transcribed over about six or seven pages. I have enclosed the page which refers to Geoff. ys. DP

<Snip> "I remember coming back to Duxford from Horsham St Faith, it was quite late in the evening and I was flying number two to Matheson. We had left Horsham a little late and we hadn't any night flying facilities at Duxford for landing at night. And Matty, as he was known, wanted to go via his girlfriend's house and beat up the house which we duly did. When we got back it was pretty dark and when I came into land I hit some obstruction in the middle of the airfield that was marking some damp patches. I didn't damage anything but you couldn't see these obstructions because it was too dark. I remember Matty got a bollocking for that."

Matheson's diary seems to suggest that it was the other way around and they were returning to Horsham St Faith from Duxford. He doesn't mention the diversion of beating up his girlfriend's house on this occasion but this may have been noticed and reported to the C.O. explaining his annoyance!

These accounts also differ in regard to the extent of damage - if any.

This was 21st April 1940 so the ORB and or MT pages may indicate which aircraft Peter Howard-Williams (The C.O., G. Stephenson's) was flying on this occasion. Matheson was in L1031 which he seems to have taken over from Douglas Bader when he was with 19 Squadron. Clearly a talisman for him as he did the same with Bader's first 222 squadron Spitfire P9443.