View Single Post
Old 1st November 2023, 19:52

lritger will become famous soon enough
Re: US Strategic Bombing Survey No59 - a questionable statement about 1-seat fighters production

Gentlemen,

This is a question I'm currently digging into as part of the work going into my forthcoming book covering the origins and development of the Bf 109. Without giving away the farm, so to speak, there have been an awful lot of interesting things which have surfaced regarding wartime Bf 109 production in the course of reviewing/tabulating all the primary source documents I can lay my hands on, including RL 2-VI/202, the USSBS "accepted aircraft" production summary, USSBS reports for WNF/Erla/Messerschmitt, Rüstungsinsepektion KTBs, meeting notes from the Rüstungsamt and Jägerstab, and a very, VERY curious document from the Hauptausschuß Flugzeugbau found in a collection of Speer's notes at R 3/1926, page 0088.

I'm mentioning that particular page here because Oberst Littman's accusation of lies being circulated regarding aircraft production may be closer to mark than we know. The report states that no fewer than 2,300 Bf 109s were produced in Nov and 2,360 produced in Dec 1944... this is not a mix of Neubau and Reparatur figures, these figures are intended to reflect "accepted deliveries". This exceeds the highest credible numbers for those months by almost 1,500 fighters. And more interestingly, the numbers for July through October align perfectly with the overall accepted numbers reported in the USSBS summary grid.

I can tell you that I have not found a single document - not ONE - which has anything close to what this document is claiming in terms of Bf 109 production in Nov and Dec 1944. In fact, based on all available evidence, I would go so far as to state these figures are outright fabrications. The numbers for Fw 190 production in those months are also similarly exaggerated, but I am not knowledgeable enough about 190 production to offer an informed opinion as to whether they're factual or not.

Link to the aforementioned document (scroll to page 0088):

https://invenio.bundesarchiv.de/inve...-eb1e853a2ad4/

Best regards,

Lynn