View Single Post
Old 19th March 2012, 02:13

Andrew Arthy will become famous soon enoughAndrew Arthy will become famous soon enough
Re: Bf109 massacre on 30 July 1943

Hi,

There was definitely no new Luftwaffe fighter Gruppe in Sardinia on 30 July 1943: III./J.G. 77 and the remnants of II./J.G. 51 were the only units on the island at that time. A strength return on the evening of 29 July shows:

II./J.G. 51, 5 Bf 109s, 2 serviceable
III./J.G. 77, 29 Bf 109s, 23 serviceable

The reconnaissance Bf 109 was shot down by the 52nd FG at 07:45 north-east of Bizerta, and was from III./J.G. 77. This combat was unrelated to the 325th FG combat. The Spitfires had scrambled at 07:27, and claimed two FW 190s shot down near Bizerta.

The 325th FG flew the sweep from 08:00 to 11:05, and made claims from 09:45 to 10:15. Final tally was:

- 21 Bf 109s destroyed
- 3 Bf 109s probably destroyed
- 1 Mc. 202 probably destroyed
- 3 Bf 109s damaged

III./J.G. 77 scrambled from Chilivani at 09:25. Four Bf 109s from the Gruppe were shot down, with one pilot killed and three wounded. A first-hand account from Eduard Isken mentions the presence of Lightnings as well. III./J.G. 77 pilots claimed five P-40s shot down between 09:40 and 10:10.

The Checkertail Clan book confirms that only one of the 36 American aircraft involved was lost on this mission, and none were damaged. Lt. Bob Sederberg failed to return, and was taken prisoner.

An account of the combat appeared in 9th and 12th Air Forces in the Sicilian Campaign:

"Taking off at 0800, the 317th Fighter Squadron flew up the west side of the island. At a point due west of Sassari they were attacked by a force of 25 to 30 Me-109's which was augmented during the course of the ensuing air battle by additional flights of Me-109's and Mc-202's, bringing the total number of enemy aircraft engaged to between 40 and 50. Approaching from a northwesterly direction the Jerries attacked the rear of the formation on the same level as the P-40's, whose altitude was about 9,000 feet. During the first attack four Me-109's were seen to crash almost simaltaneously, while in one area alone there were nine fires from burning aircraft. In the course of the 20- to 30- minute running battle there were 21 enemy aircraft destroyed and four probables reported for the loss of one P-40."

III./J.G. 77's first two victory claims were made in the Sassari area, so it seems very likely that it was the first Axis unit to engage the Americans.

The account goes on to describe the "poorly executed tactics" and "lack of coordination" demonstrated by the Axis pilots.

Sources
- Hanf, Logbook
- ULTRA
- Luftwaffe victory claims material
- Genst.Gen.Qu.6.Abt. loss material
- 9th and 12th Air Forces in the Sicilian Campaign
- McDowell & Hess, Checkertail Clan
- Olynyk, USAAF Claims
- Prien, Jagdgeschwader 77

That covers the German and American sides. I hope someone can provide information about any Italian involvement in this combat. Alex Ragatzu's book would be the best source for this combat, but unfortunately I don't own a copy.

Cheers,
Andrew A.

Air War Publications - www.airwarpublications.com