View Single Post
Old 9th May 2015, 09:47

Observer1940 is on a distinguished road
Re: Friendly fire WWII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer1940 View Post
Hello Brian
One for your book, it now appears from my research that one of the two RAF Whitleys which crashed into a balloon 15th August 1940 near Eastleigh was involved in a friendly fire incident before the collision and crash.

14-15 August 1940 Headquarters No.4 Group

Two aircraft fouled balloon cables and crashed on return, one aircraft shot at by friendly aircraft but no damage. The other aircraft having engine and intercom trouble.

I have traced the "other aircraft" okay in the Squadron and Station ORBs and also the No.4 Group Signal in the appendices regarding Whitley P4982 which hit the balloon barrage of 956 Squadron Langley, HQ Colnbrook.

Whitley P5044
However, the Signal reporting Whitley P5044 is missing in the No.4 Group Appendices.
Above quote shortened.

Going through the paperwork sent to the family back in 1940 and my Grandfather's brother has written to the RAF Records Office to discover more about the circumstances, relating to the loss of his brother Sgt Claude L. G. Hood.

The letter acknowledgement from the RAF Records Office regarding the Whitley of Captain Stenhouse, has been sent with the Service Number reference of another Airman (not one of the Whitley crew), saying that they will get the Squadron to respond direct. Shortly afterward, a letter arrives, from 77 Squadron, RAF Topcliffe signed by F/Lt. D Goudie (or F/Lt. O Goudie), about hitting a balloon cable.

Fire in Air.
The term 'fire on impact' does not always mean when hitting the ground, in other accidents impact means the collision with trees, cable etc. Therefore, 'Fire in Air' suggests on fire before impact with the cable.

Also locally although they knew a balloon collision was involved, locals were told Whitley P5044 had been hit by enemy action and the daughter of the adjacent house observed events after the crash. One crew member is recorded differently in The Times Casualty List.

However, a check of the files in AIR 14 indicates that none of the No. 4 Group 22 Whitleys were lost due to enemy action on that Op. The No. 4 Group ORB only refers to a friendly fire incident.

This accident is also one of the so called balloon collisions, which does not have a surviving Balloon Centre & Balloon Command written report in the files.

Anyway, regarding this letter being sent to our family later in 1940, off the file of another RAF Serviceman's reference, I have traced this number (and confirmed using AIR 78) to another pilot.

Research is continuing.

Regards Mark

Last edited by Observer1940; 10th May 2015 at 08:47.