View Single Post
Old 18th May 2010, 11:23

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: New book 'Fury', by Arnaud Gillet

Bernard,

You will find the No.142 Squadron ORB from September 1939 microfilmed at NA(PRO) Kew in AIR27/972. Thank you for your opinion on 'Fury' and good luck with your own research into the RAF in the Battle of France.

Ian,

The point about the incorrect photo caption in my Battle of France Then & Now is well made. It was the only view of that aircraft available to us at the time, and a simple error to make, though closer examination should have revealed the truth of the matter. However, since publication some six views of the crash site at Artaise have surfaced none of which allow me to identify the serial number with any certainty. So please help me understand how you are able to state that it is 'definitely' P2195. A PM will do if you prefer.

Many,

Thank you for your comments. As you can see, there is still considerable interest in resolving (as far as possible) the events of that afternoon so your account is eagerly awaited.

No.76 Wing aircraft were first off that afternoon because they were first to receive attack orders from HQ AASF (14.15 hours). Three half-sections (i.e. two aircraft apiece) were tasked to attack Bridge 1 (Wadelincourt), Bridge 3 (Douzy), and Bridge 5 (Mouzon) at 15.00 hours. Two more half-sections were to attack Bridge 2 (NW of Remilly-Aillicourt) and Bridge 4 (N of Villers-devant-Mouzon) ten minutes later with five further aircraft being sent against roads in the area. This is consistent with HOBLER's account that he took-off with one other aircraft. Attack orders to No.71 Wing came from HQ AASF at 14.20 hours and those for No.75 Wing followed at 14.40 hours. (HQ AASF ORB NA(PRO) AIR24/21).