View Single Post
Old 17th February 2007, 17:00

drgondog is on a distinguished road
Re: Most One Sided Luftwaffe Victory over the 8th Air Force

Nick - right up to the end of the war, the Luftwaffe was able to deal severe blows to the bombers when skillfully directed by the controllers to an area/gap in fighter coverage - and escape without being mauled if they only made, perhaps two passes.

The 29th April was particularly significant because the B-24 wings that were clobbered were very far off course and fighters were not able to provide cover at all!

Other battles such as 7 July and 27 September and 26 November, they dealt heavy blows but the fighter coverage was close enough that the Germans were not able to escape..

I know I am a preacher talking to the converted about this point so forgive me if I seem pedantic about 'local superiority' and the lethal consequences when Sturmbocks were able to make passes with 30mm cannon.

Bill

Rob - I noted w/interest that Oblt Heinz Seidl 3/JG302 seemed to claim Neal (as referenced to the WR-J in the claim). I have a report that an Fw 190 and the P-51 WR-J both crashed very close together which would support the claim that Neal went in chasing one of the 190's near Rathenow. His wingman pulled up as they started through an undercast and barely escaped the same fate.

Do you have access to the German claim documentation so I can better understand the circumstances?