View Single Post
Old 21st April 2023, 16:46
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: Help ID RAF Grid Reference S.1676

Chris: Of course I know where St. Brieuc is (I visited it in 2019, on the same trip to France when we met)....and surely it is very far away from Dunkirk....am dumb, but not so dumb to make such a mistake, I assure you (and am familiar with VFR - and IFR - Navigation and charts as well). What I mentioned is that the Grid System do give us some places not close to where the combat was reported by the RAF crew...and the Combat Report of the same RAF crew does not give us the correct Grid Code (as far as we know). So we are stuck.

Steve: I do agree with you, there must be something missing on the Combat Report. I did not know the reference book you mentioned and the position you mention fits perfectly around Dunkirk - Gravelines area.

NICK:I did not know about the KG 2 machine being shot down close or nearby. But this is the Ju 88 am looking for: 7A+BH. I obtained recently a photograph of Robert Ziegler, hence my interest in his earlier career and dismise. What seems strange and you informed, is that their bodies were later recovered off the Dutch Coast, which may suggest that the combat took place a bit North of Dunkirk. My gratitude for the link to the Powerpoint claims of Mosquitos...most useful...and it gave me the code of the Mosquito flown by S/L Green, DFC as VY*A. Again, my gratitude for that help.