View Single Post
Old 26th August 2017, 16:47
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Italian aircraft and their top aces

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoz99 View Post
Yes, that would be interesting to know. I have 3 Osprey books with info on the Finns (Buffalo Aces, Finnish Aces, Lelv24), and while they are generally reasonable for info, NONE of them has any detail on probables.
Cheers
Peter
Hello Peter
the reason probably is that the official FiAF kill list put together by the HQ of the FiAF didn't use probables, all those different categories were counted as accepted victories to the pilots, also those officially put into regiment's account. This system with probables is probably created by Stenman in order to differentied those claims with withness from those without withness. That can be done by going through the air combat reports from which one can see the confirmation process and its conclusion. But in fact the lack of witness not necesarily meant that the claim was reduced to probable in the RAF. I already mentioned Tuck's two Bf 109s on 21 June 41. Also I think that e.g. most of Kuttelwascher's confirmed victories were accepted without witness because of the nature of the circumstances, night intruder attacks over France while flying Hurricane IIc, of his later claims. Also in the LW the claims were sometimes accepted without witness.