View Single Post
Old 21st July 2019, 22:48

SteveR is on a distinguished road
Re: Have Any FAA ORBs or Encounter Reports Been Digitized at the NA?

I've been re-reading Brian Cull's Flying Sailors At War vol. 1 and I'm looking for any more details (no matter how small) of the aerial combats mentioned in the book - things like the time of the combat (sometimes, but not always, given in the book - I could at least deduce a reasonable approximation from the Time Up/Time Down in the ORB), weather conditions, and details from the narrative in the Form F (things like "Sighted enemy aircraft off our port quarter heading in a southerly direction at 12,000 feet" - those sort of details).

804 Squadron is rather easy as there was only one of which I'm aware, that being on 27 April.

803 Squadron is rather more complicated as they engaged in combats on 17, 24, 25, 26, and 27 April, 7, 8, 10, 14, 15, and 16 May, and 9 and 10 June (the only one I'm not looking for is the Black Thursday raid on 13 June as it's covered so extensively in Mr. Cull's book).

I do have Fledgling Eagles by Shores, et.al. I was hoping to find primary source info and was hoping I'd just missed something searching on the NA's website. Thanks for confirming for me that the FAA files haven't been digitized!