View Single Post
Old 12th February 2009, 12:57
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road
Re: Me 262 Fl.Ü.G. 1

Hi, Dan and others

Yes, one learn all the time doing this! Part of the fun in my opinion...

I would like to add one thing:

The incident that occured was CAUSED by techn.Mängel or in english a technical problem, and the resulting DAMAGE was assessed as being 15%.

Seeing the state the aircraft as reported by KG 51 I would assume that 'something' happened to the aircraft when Fl.Ü.G.1 was ferrying it.

The term taken over by KG 51 also is of interest, and I would like a clarification and source for the date especially.

What I believe might have happened is:

1. Aircraft allocated to KG 51 on Sept 16th 1944 (in numerous german documents you see the term 'zugewiesen', a term I translate to allocated. In some instances I have been able to follow for aircraft allocated to units operating in Norway and northern Finnland it could be days, weeks and even in special instances months before the total number of aircraft allocated really was taken over by the unit)
2. Aircraft was to be ferried to KG 51 on Sept 22nd 1944, but sustained damage at Schwäbisch-Hall (Assuming that the aircraft was either to be flown from Waldwerk to the airfield, or from the airfield to a part of KG 51 not at Schwäbisch-Hall)
3. Aircraft repaired at Schwäbisch-Hall and transferred to the unit between Sept 22nd and Sept 30th 1944

Regards,
Andreas B