View Single Post
Old 1st August 2015, 16:49

vathra is on a distinguished road
Re: In General, What is Everyone Doing?

Hello everybody,

Let me introduce my work on this forum.
I am interested in ww2 history of Yugoslavia.

Currently, I am doing research on rescue of American airmen from Yugoslavia. I started with some books, then switched to MACRs, finally went to Escape and evasion statements. It is very interesting, almost detective work, finding links, missing data, etc. Also, it is one of the best covered parts of the war from personal side, since there is statement from almost every airmen, several dozens memoir books, interviews etc.
It is also very massive research. There were some 2,500 Allied airmen evacuated from Yugoslavia (of those, some 100 British, rest American). For majority I managed to find Escape statement, or some other source on their evasion.
I have wrote two articles on this topic which are waiting to be published in Serbian historical magazines. Research for book is almost finished.

Parallel to this research, I am working on two other projects:
- Allied bombing of Yugoslavia. Similar to previous research, I plan to start with analysis of smaller operations, and in time to expand research. For me, it was most difficult to find where are archive documents, and it goes easier after that.
- Effects of cryptography on events in Yugoslavia. Ultra is well known today, and it's effects on ww2. German cryptographer also had success against guerrilla radio traffic in Yugoslavia. Both those efforts had strategic effects on events in Yugoslavia.