View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 23:46
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: PBS Video - "Nazi Mega Weapons: Jet Fighter Me 262"

Dear Richard and Dan,

As someone who follows the media, and Hollywood, on a regular basis, along with knowing something about how things get done, this is outrageous but not a big surprise. The History Channel being another example. After the real news began to turn into infotainment around the same time the internet took off, people were let go. In-depth reporting was gradually turned into sound bites. More and more, the focus became "what will bring in the ratings."

So, it pains me to watch something called history given the most superficial treatment and without the necessary detail to present the subject matter well. Someone is offering books about the Luftwaffe that are nothing more than compilations of wiki articles. This does not mean the end of real scholarship and real research, but if they can bring in the ratings while keeping budgets (and even accuracy) low, and get away with it, they will.

And hopefully, some youngsters will see some of this, develop a further interest, like I did, and find out that there's much, much more to the story.

Best,

Ed West

Last edited by edwest; 15th May 2014 at 00:28.