View Single Post
Old 12th March 2018, 11:30
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough
Re: 74. Squadron Spitfire lost on 21.5.1940

Faenor

Interesting topic!

There is a problem with both dates and aircraft here.

If we concentrate on the pilot, what Kaiyan says is that many sources list P/O R.D. Aubert as having force landed on the 22nd and not 21st as stated in BofF.

If we then concentrate on the aircraft
K9977 is listed as lost on 30.12.1939 by all other sources I have as well, so I think we can be pretty safe BofF is wrong when saying Aubert flow that aircraft, either on the 21st or 22nd.

Aircraft K9867 also creates a problem, since its record card seems to say it was lost on the 23rd and not 21st (or even 22nd)

I think that Peter (in some other context) said he had relied and checked upon all the ORB available. I can't remember if he also said he counter balanced his details with what had been checked on the record cards or not, but hopefully he gets around reading this and makes his own comments.

You also have to remember this was a very tough period for the British. They were basically on the verge of loosing the war and record keeping was probably one of the least promoted aspects they were facing, so there is bound to be many official discrepancies around.

Cheers
Stig

PS: Yes indeed K9957 could be a good candidate since it is recorded as missing on the 21st.

Last edited by Stig Jarlevik; 12th March 2018 at 11:32. Reason: Added comment