View Single Post
Old 15th February 2014, 18:49

Allan125 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blenheim L9181 57 Sqn April 11, 1940

Hello Paul

I have just seen this piece and can add the following ref Archibald Cathcart Stewart - graeful if anybody can supply the individual aircraft letter.

Confirmed as a Pilot Officer on 12 July 1938 he was promoted to become a Flying Officer (War Substantive) on 12 April 1940. He crashed the previous night flying Blenheim IV L9181 DX- on a night reconnaissance, or training, flight when control was lost in a turn soon after take off. The aircraft crashed at Foucacourt-en-Santerre, north of Lihons, 20km NNW of Roye-Amy, France. Stewart baled out but broke his left leg badly, (his leg was so badly damaged that his foot was on his body, and that he had many bone breakages) and his left side when he hit the tailplane, Sgt C Simpson (Observer) baled out safely. The Air Gunner AC1 G Lindsay was killed and is buried at le Quesnel (Somme), France. He lay in a field for a long time with many broken bones before being picked up and taken to a hospital in Dieppe, up to the time of the Dunkirk evacuation, when he was then evacuated (Obviously as he was a potentially valuable pilot) from Dieppe as the Germans advanced.

He spent nearly two years in hospital, initially in Hatfield House hospital in the UK and married a VAD Nurse (Mavis Carrington) on 25 October 1941 that he had met when in Hospital and had two sons, David, who was born on 5 November 1942, and Iain on 11 February 1945. He was advised to go onto single engined aircraft because his left knee was too weak to handle twin engined aircraft especially in the event of an engine failure.

This information, and quite a bit more that I have about ACS was kindly supplied to me several years ago by his son Iain Stewart.

My interest is that he became WingCo Flying of 125 Airfield/Wing

Archibald Stewart was promoted to Wing Commander and became Wing Commander Flying of 125 Airfield/Wing between 13 March 1944 – 7 July 1944 whereby he led them in the missions leading to the invasion of France and the establishment of 125 Wing at B.11 Longues-sur-Mer being awarded a DFC in the London Gazette of 19 September 1944. “Acting Wing Commander Archibald Cathcart Stewart (40151) R.A.F.O. - This officer has displayed gallantry, determination and devotion to duty worthy of the greatest praise. He has taken part in a large number of sorties on many of which he has led large formations of aircraft with exceptional ability. He has rendered much valuable service.”

cheers

Allan