View Single Post
Old 10th February 2017, 00:38

Paul Thompson is on a distinguished road
Re: Did KG 26 hit the cruiser Molotov in 1942?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Kuznetsov View Post
"Molotov" and "Kharkov" were without air cover during the night attacks. The air cover (fighters and 4 MBR-2) had appeared at daybreak only.
During the night 5 DB-3? 7 SB and 16 MBR-2 bombed the port facilities in Feodosia, but I can't find any evidence of their contacts with "Molotov" and "Kharkov".

German torpedo planes had shadowed the cruiser. It is info from Kriegsmarine documents.

Maybe British Y-intercepts and ULTRA contains some useful info?
Andrey, thank you for providing yet more great information. On reflection, it is probably unsurprising that there was no air cover during the night, given communication difficulties. I would say that the relatively large number of Soviet sorties, including a dozen by twin-engine bombers, gives some support to the theory of mistaken identity. However, as you say, the information about German shadowers is firm, so there was some basis to the Soviet claims of torpedo attacks.

I hope some forum members who have seen relevant ULTRA material will comment here. I would pin some hope on Signatur RL 10/65 at Freiburg. Has anyone seen that?

Doug and Larry's excellent database probably uses the same Steenbeck book for Bachem. Perhaps it was 4./KG 26, not 6./KG 26, flying that night? If the Bewegungsmeldung is not in error, this was the only combat loss for the Gruppe during the entire month:

BACHEM, Dr. Hans-Georg. 03.08.42 Lt., 4./KG 26 MIA - He 111 H-6 (1T+JH) struck by AA from an enemy cruiser 150 km S of Feodosiya/Crimea - search was fruitless. 31.08.42 Lt., (pilot) awarded the Ehrenpokal.

Kleemann was indeed the commander of 6./KG 26 at that time and so could have been in the area, but there is no evidence so far to support or refute that assertion:
KLEEMANN, Wilhelm. (DOB: 31.08.16). (DKG). 01.04.40 promo to Oblt. 16.05.42 Oblt., appt Staka 6./KG 26 (to 08.42). 01.07.42 promo to Hptm. 10.07.42 awarded DKG, II./KG 26. 03.43 at the Fliegerwaffenschule (See) (to 15.04.43). 15.04.43 trf to Ob.d.L. pool (Sch.Etat). 20.05.44 Hptm. and Staka 8./KG 26, MIA – in Ju 88 A-17 off the mouth of the Seine.

Doug provided a very useful list of the other Staffelkapitäne of KG 26 on this forum, back in 2010:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=21606

Nick, thank you for the details from Schmidt's book. I wonder whether II./KG 26 was short of torpedo-bombers, or torpedoes. The Bewegungsmeldung suggests that not all the units aircraft were equipped as torpedo-bombers, see http://www.ww2.dk/oob/bestand/kampf/biikg26.html On the other hand, they did have enough torpedo-bombers for more than one formation attack on Soviet warships, perhaps they simply concentrated on bombing sorties. Does the Schmidt book say anything about that?

In summary, it does appear more plausible that the "Molotov" was hit by Legnani's MAS 568, but this is only a provisional conclusion.

Warm regards,

Paul