Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 27th July 2024, 20:57

NickM
Need Help Finding a Book Title

Gang:

This is NOT an aviation book (well if you consider choppers, it MIGHT be);

I'm looking for a non fiction book title: I had read it YEARS ago; The author was a US Army Captain assigned to a 'hard luck' infantry company in the 1st Air Car, pre-Tet Offensive, stationed somewhere in the mountains around Bong Son. The author also recounted bits of his earlier tour advising the ARVN. Anyway, he does a great job leading his company to payback in Bong Son before being transferred up north near Khe Sanh to oppose the NVA up there. He ended the book getting a chunk of his tibia shot out of his leg (the book interweaves his unpleasant stay in hospital);
The ONLY thing I recall from the title was the word "SIx" being in it (I guess part of his callsign) and possibly remembering the author made it to his Colonelcy before recently passing away in his eighties
Does it ring any bells with anybody?

Thanks ahead of time
Old 27th July 2024, 22:17
Alter Hase

edwest2 will become famous soon enoughedwest2 will become famous soon enough
Re: Need Help Finding a Book Title

Maybe this:

https://www.amazon.com/Chickenhawk-R.../dp/B000O5TQYM

You may be remembering "six" from a book titled Check Six.