Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 26th July 2006, 20:49

alex crawford
D-Day markings

Hi,

I know front line aircraft wore the black/white D-Day markings, but did other second line aircraft wear similar markings?

I only ask as I have seen a photo of a 521 Sqn Gladiator with two vertical white stripes on the fuselage. It is in the book 'Even The Birds Were Walking' the story of the RAF's Met Flights in the UK. I asked one of the authors about the photo and he said:

'I think the white stripes or bands on the rear fuselage of the 521 Sqn Gladiator must relate to D-day and the period thereafter. With the Glads operating from north Norfolk, it was vital that they would be recognised by allied strike aircraft operating in and out of Normandy. All these aircraft carried wing and fuselage ‘stripes.’

By 'all these aircraft' I think he meant the various other types of aircraft operated by 521 Sqn.

Does anyone have any other ideas about these white stripes?

Alex
Old 27th July 2006, 14:25

Modeldad will become famous soon enough
Re: D-Day markings

Not familiar with those Gladiators, but if they crossed the Channel, then they better have had D-Day stripes. Even after the USAAF wanted to dicontinue using them, the Navy requested that the underside markings be retained for quick Friend-Foe ID.

An aircraft operating between England and France without them would be subject to a shoot first and ask questions later policy.

I guess the real issue id dating the pix of the Gladiators.
Old 27th July 2006, 18:55

alex crawford

Hi,

I have been given the contact details of a pilot who flew these Gladiators and he is actually pictured alongside the Gladiator in question.

I'll drop him a line and see if he can remember when the stripes were painted on and why?

Alex
Old 29th August 2006, 23:13

alex crawford

Hi,

Here is a photo of the Gladiator. It was sent to me by Plt Off Pritcher's daughter.

Alex
Old 30th August 2006, 17:19

drgondog is on a distinguished road

The 355th put their stripes on June 5 and removed top half on July 9-10

Bill
Old 29th September 2006, 00:20
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

In relation to D-Day stripes, I understand from several vets that these were applied on 4th June and not the 5th June, as the 5th would have been D-Day had it not been postponed for a day due to bad weather. As far as I can tell operational units were given just 24 hours to complete the task and in the case of 575 Sqn RAF with which my father was serving for D-Day no one was excempt from this work - from the CO down to the lowest Erk. With about 20 Dakotas and as many Horsas to paint, what started out as neat lines ended up being all over the place. As my father remembers paint was being applied with 'brushes brooms and mops' just to get it done. So modellers beware- some of those invasion stripe decal sheets look to good.
Old 29th September 2006, 10:14

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point

While I can't give you any more on this Gladiator issue we have been discussing the same thing when it comes to 333 Sqn Mosquitoes. They never flew along the invasion front and not one of the interviewed crew can remember having painted stripes on their Mosquitos. Nevertheless they were a front line unit.
I was surprised to learn about this, but it kind of makes sense, while their operations were far from France.

Having just learned about this book 'Even The Birds Were Walking' I just ordered it from Amazon. While I'm waiting for it to arrive, could you tell if there are any pics of late-war Hudsons in it?

Kyrre