Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 5th September 2007, 12:31

BABIN
Pieces of paper thrown out of a Me 109

Hello,

In the Personal Combat Report written by a Spitfire pilot who shot down a Me 109 in August 1944, it was told :

" ... I observed the E/A's hood fly off and the pilot searching around his cockpit. He threw out about 30 small pieces of paper and then baled out at 800 ft over the back of his aircraft ..."

I wonder what these "small pieces of paper" could be ... somebody have an idea ?

Thanks

Pierre
Old 5th September 2007, 12:38

Csaba B. Stenge is on a distinguished road
Re: Pieces of paper thrown out of a Me 109

Well, the Hungarian Ju 88's and Fw 189's dropped 100 000's of leaflets over the Soviet Union and sometimes they dropped few bunch of them against the attacking fighters too, to confuse them, but it is a very different story. Maybe he just tore up some personal documents before baled out.
Old 5th September 2007, 14:18

Peter

Maps and intelligense, mission objective I would guess.

Peter
Old 6th September 2007, 00:37
Alter Hase

Larry is on a distinguished road

But surely if he had left them in the aircraft they would have been blown to bits when the aircraft hit the ground. Why risk you life ripping up documents?
Old 6th September 2007, 08:45

WEISNER is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Pieces of paper thrown out of a Me 109

Blown up when hitting the ground???? Not so! several hard crash sites have given up all kinds of Intellagence! Pilot ID including unit info and possible location of the unit, Via stamps etc..in the various ID books that were kept, Maps with important alternate landing airfields (Fueling Sites) on them...And other types of Paper goodies. once found, Here comes the Bombs.... And some of these paper items are still being found TODAY.... when a crash site is excavated!
Perhaps some member who has been involved in such a historical dig can add some info?
Kevin
Old 6th September 2007, 09:08

Adam

surely the place of the incident might also be relevant? It seems the assumption is it was intell for the enemy, but if the pilot was miles from the front lines inside friendly territory, then perhaps it was something he wasn't supposed to have - either at all, or just in the aircraft at the time?
Old 6th September 2007, 11:20

Dan O'Connell will become famous soon enough

How about you were just in the process of getting shot down....I wouldn't be thinking to smartly at the time either LOL You're told to protect these papers, and you're maybe 19 or 20 years old...you are going to do what you remembered being ordered, even if it wasn't the best use of your time at the moment.
Old 6th September 2007, 12:33

BABIN

Thank you very much, gentlemen, for your replies.

The German pilot was a young Unteroffizier, belonging to a Jagdeschwader. His Me 109 crashed close to his airfield, located about 200 km from the Normandy front, in a still occupied area ... and an already straffed or bombed airfield by the Allied Air Forces ! Probably the thrown up documents were intelligence, but the way this young pilot took to get rid of them, wasn't the best : they could be picked up by French partisans or Jetburg commandos who spied on the German airfield (and other German camps or installations) in the area.

I guess German pilots and crews had specifical instructions to get rid of intelligence documents when their aircraft was hit and about to crash, but was it more important than saving their life : to waste some seconds before bailing out could be fatal ...

Pierre
Old 6th September 2007, 16:23
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Well, perhaps it was a notebook or something like that, that locked him in the cockpit? Or perhaps he had to throw it away because unable to reach something or unstrap himself.
Old 6th September 2007, 16:52

WEISNER is on a distinguished road

Dan makes a very good point above!
K