Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th July 2014, 23:35

mikew156 is on a distinguished road
Lancaster NE164 of 550Sqn: Stuttgart Raid, 28th/29th July 1944

In remembrance of the crew of NE164

70 years ago today....
At 21:36 hrs Lancaster NE164 took off from RAF North Killingholme.

The crew were;
F/O Harry Jones Pilot from Monmouthshire
Sgt. James Drury Flight Engineer from Nottingham
F/O William Dinney RCAF Navigator from Manitoba
Sgt. Frederic Habgood Air Bomber from Wandsworth
Sgt. Donald Hunter Wireless Op from Blackpool
Sgt. Roy Cumberlidge Air Gunner from Yorkshire
Sgt. Idwal Williams Air Gunner from Monmouthshire

At approximately 01:50 hrs, NE163 crashed in the forest near to Mt Sainte Odile and a few kilometers SSW of Klingenthal (Alsace), following an attack by the Me110 piloted by Oblt. Gottfried Hanneck

Harry Jones died in the crash and Idwal Williams died as a result of his parachute jump. The others landed safely and had to consider their chances of evading capture. Don Hunter, James Drury and Roy Barton were captured quickly and taken in charge of the Feld Gendarmerie and the Luftwaffe. According to Oliver Clutton-Brock*, Fred Habgood was captured in Niederhaslach which is approx. 10 kilometers NNW of the crash site, however other sources say that he was helped by people of Ottrott who were then denounced and taken to the nearby concentration camp at Natzweiler. Unfortunately I know little of their fates but what is known is that Fred Habgood was murdered at Natzweiler and his body was never found. In a trial held at Wuppertal in 1946, five men were found guilty of the crime, two of whom were executed on the 11th of October.

Over many years, the Muller and Wucher families extended their respects, honour and friendship to Don Hunter and continue to give the same to members of Don's family after his passing last year. Their generous courtesies have also been extended to a relative of Harry Jones who has joined Don's daughter today in a commemoration at the crash site. I expect that the kindness of the people of Obernai and Ottrott will be evident again, as it was in 2008 when the memorial stele was unveiled.
Don was the last of the survivors of NE164 and I always appreciated the time he gave me whenever I called him. The last time I spoke with him on the phone he patiently recalled details of his training that no doubt he had recounted on numerous other occasions.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who is interested in this crew or who has any information about them. I would particularly like to know a little more about Idwal Williams.

Over the years I have gathered details about most of the men through my own research and from family members and people who knew a few of them, and of course, I had the privilege of speaking with Don Hunter; it's been a pleasure and an honour to have helped others to learn more about them.

Thanks and regards.

Mike
* Footprints on the Sands of Time’ by Oliver Clutton-Brock. 2003 Grub Street – London ISBN 1 904010 00 0
See also: http://www.aerosteles.net/fiche.php?...rott-lancaster