Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 4th June 2024, 14:43
Alter Hase

keith A is on a distinguished road
LW losses 18 June 1944 Montpellier-Nimes

On this date a formation of P-47s from GCII/5 attacked and claimed to have shot down an He111. They then encountered six Bf109 and during an aerial engagement two of the Bf109 were seen to be damaged at least, one losing part of it's tail, the other spinning down until lost to sight. Among the claimants was Lt Pierre L'Espinay who would later be given credit for two more Bf109s, and cne Jacques Tardy de Montravel. The Journal de Marche of GCII/5 credits this patrol with three victories, although the Bf109s are largely unreported .

Were there any LW losses on this date, in this area?

best regards

Keith
Old 4th June 2024, 15:44
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: LW losses 18 June 1944 Montpellier-Nimes

http://www.ghostbombers.com/JG200/june_1.html

Other He 111s lost in Southern France that summer were transport/liaison machines retained by KG 26 but I don't know about this particular one. II./KG 26 did report a single aircraft missing in action and III./KG 26 was missing two that day but these were probably Ju 88s taking part in the torpedo attack off Normandy

I didn't find any evidence of a Bf 109 being claimed (and regrettably the material losses file covering JGr. 200 has not yet been digitised by the bundesarchiv). From UK National Archives AIR 23/6510
Int/Opsum No. 434

1900 hrs 17 – 1900 hrs 18 June 1944
Fighter Bombers … 20 P-47s 4 French Group destroyed 3 locos, damaged 3 locos in the Narbonne area and encountered and destroyed 1 He 111 10 miles West of Nîmes.
Claims:. Aircraft – 87th Fighter Wing – 1 He 111 destroyed.
Enemy Activity, Air: 1 He 111 shot down by p-47s of 4th French Group – 10 miles W. Nîmes.
Old 5th June 2024, 09:50
Alter Hase

Cheers Nick. I expect De L'Espinay and Montravel claimed the Bf109 as probables or damaged. The ORB of GCII/5 states they were victories but it is rare to see Montravel's claim described other than by Gisclon and L'Espinay's even rarer. KG26 does appear in a couple of the victories claimed by P-39 earlier in 1943-1944. I saw JG53 lost two Bf109 on ferry flights, cause unknown but both fell in Northern France at Meaux and Villacoublay. JGr.200 sounds interesting. Weren't they implicated in the loss of Saint Exupery?

best regards

Keith
Old 5th June 2024, 11:18
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith A View Post
JGr.200 sounds interesting.
They were, enough so that I spent about 20 years researching them, on and off. The results are here: http://www.ghostbombers.com/JG200/200intro.html

Quote:
Weren't they implicated in the loss of Saint Exupery?

Keith
Almost certainly not: http://www.ghostbombers.com/JG200/Ri...int-ex_01.html
Old 5th June 2024, 11:50
Alter Hase

Mea culpa, Nick I have dipped into your research many times in the past, this was laziness on my part, and some problems with the TOCH site dropping out unexpectedly.

Two days later JGr. 200 sent up 12 aircraft to counter an allied incursion into the Montpellier area. The interlopers were probably the 20 P-47s of the Free French Gr. C. 2/5 “Lafayette” which claimed three locomotives and an He 111 but were not intercepted by the German fighters.

GCII/5 state in the Journal de Marche of the 4th Escadre that they encountered six Bf109 on that date, if not JGr.200 then who?

I will spend the morning catching up on reading "Ghostbombers"

best regards

Keith
Old 5th June 2024, 13:04
Super Moderator

Quote:
GCII/5 state in the Journal de Marche of the 4th Escadre that they encountered six Bf109 on that date, if not JGr. 200 then who?
Keith
There was no other Bf 109 fighter unit in southern France then and any Bf 109s of the former Jagdgruppe Süd not embodied into JGr. 200 should already have been pulled out although you can never rule out the odd straggler, of course.

There's no mention of any encounter with Bf 109s in the source I quoted in my first post which was the Mediterranean Allied Tactical Air Forces Daily Intelligence/Operations summary (TNA AIR 23/6510). Nor is HW 41/87, "MAAF Signal Int. Service, Enemy Air Activity, June 1944–Feb. 1945" any help and there is no ULTRA decrypt relating to JGr. 200 operations that day.

Jochen Prien conformed to me from the Luftwaffe Führungsstab daily sitrep that the 12 Bf 109s scrambled on the 18th did not contact the enemy.

So somebody's wrong, apparently but who?
Old 5th June 2024, 15:50
Alter Hase

It is a puzzle. Why would the French invent encountering Bf109s? It makes no sense, even if we discount the claims (and it seems that the French did award at least "probable" victories). The reports by Montravel and L'Espinay are very descriptive about the damage they inflicted on the Bf109s, one of which lost part of it's tail, the other was trailing black smoke. The French pilots only saw six Bf109 but perhaps there were others? Montravel claims he attacked four.

Could it be a "blue on blue" incident? A Spitfire or a Mustang flight? I am sure you've considered this too. The dogfight was lengthy and the French pilots had to drop their wing tanks when entering the combat.

I should mention that I have been researching the French fighter squadrons claims from 1939 and it's rare to see evidence of overclaiming where no LW were at least damaged. Montravel was a veteran flyer and deputy commander of GC2/5 and had claimed victories in the Battle of France, L'Espinay had several months of combat against the Luftwaffe in Tunisia in 1943 and led the "Sioux" Escadrille (SPA124).

Something is missing. I am sure the French flight attacked what they saw as a formation of enemy fighters and someone got hurt. I just have to live long enough to see it proved

best regards

Keith

p.s. I read your very detailed account of the Saint-Exupery case. Great stuff!
Old 5th June 2024, 16:59
Super Moderator

There is a list of French claims in the late Christian-Jacques Ehrengardt's « À la Reconquête de la France (01.43–08.44) » in Aéro Journal No. 23 (February–March 2002). This gives the claimants for the He 111 on 18 June (Gouachon, Ducru, Gauthier and Bernard) but says nothing about any Bf 109s. Obviously, I don't know what sources he was using.

There are no corresponding Bf 109 losses for 18 June in Jean-Bernard Frappé « La Luftwaffe Face au Débarquement Allié » either.