Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 23rd June 2014, 13:01

GMichalski is on a distinguished road
russian losses, who were the victors?

Hi,
i.m searching about finnish & germans claims with russian losses and i found some russian losses without victor:

27.02.40 I-15bis 5/149 IAP Ivanov Wound. Kotka Crash between Gogland and Lavensaari after air combat

Sakkola also being the crash site of the first shot down Soviet plane in Winter War. 30th Nov-39 at 0930 o'clock a I-15bis, also from 7 IAP, piloted by 1stLtn Grigoryev. 3./7 IAP. It has fallen to village Haitermaa

2го February ¿? of 53 airregiment (20 ДБ-3) bombed Pori. Coming back, bombers in area Hanko have been intercepted by 4 fighters. In result it is shot down 1 DB-3 and 1 fighter. (I know, that the Finnish fighters of losses had no).

6 febr 1940 Two (I-15bis?) fighters were sen crashing through the ice in the Bay of Viipuri between Tuppura and Ruonti. According to recovered doduments one fighter was piloted by Lt. K.S. Chumachenko, 7 IAP of VVs 7.A (¿two I-15bis from 31 VRAE? (an army recon squadron). Were missing 06.02.40?)

20.11.43 8.40-9.20 Jak-7 Interception Suursaari-Lavansaari jr.Lt. Dorozhenko Jak-7B 12 KIAP Off Lavansaari (a/c sunk, pilot rescued)

4 february 1942 Lt. Fedosiy Zodorozhniy was jumped by finnish fighters, he managed to shake off his attackers but the engine of his Hurricane Z2585 had been damaged and was forced to belly-land. The pilot escape capture and return to his unit but the Hurricane fell into enemy hands. They discover it in Tampere, the plane had 28 bullet holes in the fuselage, the engine and propeller replaced and was isued to FAF as HC-45

many thanks,
regards

"The wingman is absolutely indispensable. I look after the wingman. The wingman looks after me....."
Francis S. "Gabby" Gabreski,

"The first rule of all air combat is to see the opponent first."
Adolf Galland
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:22

Håkan is on a distinguished road
Re: russian losses, who were the victors?

Hello,

I can’t add much to your questions.
However, according to what I have (mostly from Finnish sources):

30 November 1939, Grigoryev was shot down by “infantry fire” (AA?).

2 February – no matching Finnish claims but this is perhaps a mistaken date and should be 3 February (LLv 24 was in combat in the area)?

6 February, two I-152 from 31 VRE collided mid-air over Tuppura. Starshiy Leytenant Mikhail Semenovich Chumachenko and Leytenant Viktor Vasilyevich Koksharov both MIA.

27 February – I don’t have any losses from 149 IAP on this date. However on the previous day (26/2) 149 IAP lost two I-152s including c/n 5413 flown by Ivakin. It seems that they had been in combat with LLv 26 (Puhakka claimed one I-16 and 1 damaged I-152).

Best wishes/Håkan

WWII Biplane Fighter Aces Blog
http://ww2biplanefighteraces.blogspot.com/
Old 4th July 2014, 01:25

Thumbs up Re: russian losses, who were the victors?

Hi,
best info, many thanks,
i would add:

Hurricane Mk IIA Z2585 'White 42' of 760 IAP crash-landed in Finland 16 february 42 (on the ice of Lake Tuoppajärvi) after being attacked by enemy fighters. Quickly recovered was repaired and flown in the frontline by FAF. Delivered to the RAF early 41 had flown with 56 and 316 Sqns.

unclaimed ¿?

next days, if my work let me some free time, i send you my info of Kuroe and finnish pilots...

regards

"The wingman is absolutely indispensable. I look after the wingman. The wingman looks after me....."

Adolf Galland
Old 4th July 2014, 14:02

Kari Lumppio is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMichalski View Post
Hi,
best info, many thanks,
i would add:

Hurricane Mk IIA Z2585 'White 42' ...
Quickly recovered was repaired and flown in the frontline by FAF.

Hello!

HC-465 which was mostly Z2585 parts was not used frontline. Target flights for Kotka AAA and that's about it. It flew fery little.

As for the rest, I am not able to answer right now as I am separated from my books by several hundred kilometers.

Cheers,
Kari
Old 4th July 2014, 16:48

Mirek Wawrzynski is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Z2585 not so, but...

Quote:
4 february 1942 Lt. Fedosiy Zodorozhniy was jumped by finnish fighters, he managed to shake off his attackers but the engine of his Hurricane Z2585 had been damaged and was forced to belly-land. The pilot escape capture and return to his unit but the Hurricane fell into enemy hands. They discover it in Tampere, the plane had 28 bullet holes in the fuselage, the engine and propeller replaced and was isued to FAF as HC-45
The history of this HC IIA Z2585 "white 42" looks a little different. There were no any combats, but only engine problem of it. His pilot st. lejt. Fiodor Zadrożny (KIA on 06.06.1942) of 2./152. IAP force landed on the lake and returned on foot to the 152. IAP. Russian had send a few fighters to destroyed it on the lake by gun fire on 18.02. (so come its 25 holes, but not from air combat). Pilots informed, that they destroyed/burned it, but of course they did not.

Plane were pulled by FAF on 19.02.41. to Oulu. In 1943 it was restored to flying condition using part from to next captured HC II (wings were from Z3577), and got ID no HC-465. HC had done the first flight on 13.10.43, but it was a hybrid of 2 captured HCs plus airscrew was from Mk 1 - de Havilland.

See the whole, long story about all captured Soviets' HCs by FAF's service in my article printed in Poland in 2010: "Sowiecki huragan w rękach fińskich/ Soviet Hurricane in Finnish's Hands" in: Aero. Magazyn Lotniczy 2(25)/2010 p. 28-37, full info plus 6 photos of Z2585.

Regards,
mw
Old 5th July 2014, 16:11

Thumbs up Re: russian losses, who were the victors?

hi,
always great info Mirek!! XD

many thanks,
regards

Adolf Galland
Old 15th July 2014, 01:20

i found two interesting info:

15.08.43: a crashed Yak-7 was found at the Karelian Ishtmus, was equiped with armoured plexyglass seat rear cover instead of steel plate

09.09.43: An enemy Hurricane pilot was taken POW north from Kilpasilta airbase. During investigation he told that there were Mig-3 and Tomahawk planes in Kasimovo and Airacobra had arrived to the front. He told that he took part air battles against the Finns twice and once they lost one Hurricane. He had about 1000 flight hours and four air victories (3 German Me-109 and 1 FW-190 from the Finnish Gulf area)

source:
http://lentolaivue26.org/laivuesivusto/history.html

need info...

many thanks,
regards

Adolf Galland
Old 24th July 2014, 13:03

some more from wings palette:

I-153 Unit: unknown Serial: 12 This aircraft took part into action at Finnish front in June 1941. After forced landing it was captured by Finns and repaired. It was used by FAF as VH-19 (IT-19) till February 1945.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/361/1/2

I-153 Unit: unknown Serial: 19 An airplane I-153 during the fight at the Finnish front in October 1941. Repaired by Finns after forced landing and used
by them under serial IT-20.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/361/1/2

I-152 Unit: 147th IAP Serial: 17 This aircraft took part in Winter War. It was captured by Finns on January 12th, 1940 and used with VH-5 and IH-5 codes
until September 11th, 1942.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/359/1/2

I-152 Unit: 152nd IAP Serial: 173 (s/n.4616) Pilot - Lt.Ya.A.Andreev. This aircraft was captured by Finns on December 24th, 1939 at Oulunjarvi and served under code VH-11, then IH-2.

http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww15/f/359/1/3

regards

Adolf Galland