Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 3rd March 2012, 12:58

hucks216 will become famous soon enough
Whispering Death

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has read the book 'Whispering Death' by Mark Johnston which is about the RAAF during the war in the Far East - and if so is it any good?
Also, are there any equivalent all-encompassing histories of the RAF's operations in the same theatre?
Old 4th March 2012, 03:25

Jim Oxley is on a distinguished road
Re: Whispering Death

I found Johnston's book to be an excellent read. If one keeps in mind that it is only a single volume covering a vast period, Johnston does the subject justice.

Of paticular note in Johnston's book is the fascinating assessment he provides on the qualities of Squadron, Wing and Group leadership skills. Added to that is his coverage on the ongoing battle for control of the RAAF that carried on for most of the Pacific War between the two most senior leaders, namely AVM Jones and AVM Bostock. It's a real eye-opener.

The really good thing about the book is that it's not just limited to the major, well-known actions that the RAAF participated in. All Squadrons involvement in the War are addressed, even those fleeting pass.

It's well worth the read.

ASWWIAH Member
Old 4th March 2012, 11:29

Thanks for the reply Jim. It sounds like a good read indeed so will line that up as my next book to get/read.
Old 12th March 2012, 20:12

Edward is on a distinguished road

hucks216 asked:
I was wondering if anyone has read the book 'Whispering Death' by Mark Johnston which is about the RAAF during the war in the Far East

I do not own a copy of the book but have flipped through one. I believe that it focuses on the air war over the SW Pacific (New Guinea, N.E.I. and Northwestern Territories) and the Singapore / Malaya campaign. You can check the on-line content via Google books.

hucks216 asked:
Also, are there any equivalent all-encompassing histories of the RAF's operations in the same theatre?

I understand that Henry Probert's The Forgotten Air Force: The Royal Air Force in the War Against Japan 1941-1945 (Brasseys Publications 1995) is the book to get. The Bloody Shambles series by Christopher Shores and Brian Cull with Yasuho Izawa is excellent, especially the first two volumes. They cover RAF operations in the Far East.

This thread on books about the RAF against Japan is also worth a look
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=28941

Edward
Old 12th March 2012, 20:29

Thank you for the recommendations Edward.