Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 28th July 2009, 16:23

ewstone is on a distinguished road
Lend-Lease to Sudan, September 1941

Hello,

It's been a few years since I've posted here. Back then some here helped me determine the Luftwaffe unit than bombed a ship in Port Suez I was researching.

Since then I've found more information on the ship, including the fact that she had been in Port Sudan September 5th through the 8th 1941 unloading lend-lease aircraft for British forces there. This information came from the 3rd Mate on the ship, and his recollection is that these planes were twin-engined bombers, possibly B-25's.

When I searched on lend-lease and B-25 this seems a bit early. Also, this plane seems a little too large for the width of the ship (55' - 3"). Douglas Boston's, Martin Baltimore's, or even Martin Maryland's seem like better candidates.

There were 4 planes in total, but one was severely damaged during unloading, and salvaged for spare parts. They were supposedly completely assembled and flight ready with the exception of fuel. They were lashed to her decks. The ship sailed from New York as an independent (not in convoy) and made one stop in Cape Town prior to arrival in Sudan.

Can anyone confirm what type of lend-lease twin-engined planes may have been delivered to Sudan during this time period? It would also be interesting to find out what became of them.

Thanks,

Eric