Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 20th November 2012, 15:34

Henofred is an unknown quantity at this point
German Anti-Aircraft reports (US Archives)

Bonjour,

I have a question before going there.
I heard or read somewhere that German documents are held by the US National Archives. Among them, some documents from anti-aircraft units. If so, there is a chance to find a “Flak” report for the claim of bombers shot-down in France at a given time (spring of 1944)? If not, any chance to find something in the German Military Archives at Freiburg? I know the Flak-Abteilung involved because they suffered losses during the attack and soldiers were buried in the local cemetery. American reports are well done but we have always few things from the German side. Thanks beforehand for your answers.

Kind regards,
Frederic
Old 20th November 2012, 15:58
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough
Re: German Anti-Aircraft reports (US Archives)

No Flak-Abschußmeldungen at NARA WashDC. All that survived are at BA-MA Freiburg.
Old 20th November 2012, 17:29

DB601E is on a distinguished road

Salut Federic,

there are very few in the NARA archive. I found them and took some copies last year especially for french area. Wich date/place you are looking for?

Regards

Lino
Old 20th November 2012, 19:11

Bonjour Lino,

At the beginning of next year I am starting the writing of a story about the loss on April 28, 1944 of two American bombers over Avord A/D, an airfield right in Centre of France. I have a huge file on the loss of these two bombers, the escape of five flyers throught France, several testimonies, photographs and so on, but very few regarding the German side especially those who shot down the two B-17 bombers.

On April 28th the three names of German soldiers I found in the cemetery register belong to the "leichte Flak-Abteilung 673 (v)" and three others to the "1. Flughafenbetriebskompanie KG 66". Ironically several of the airmen who were killed that day were descendants of German immigrants.

Larry, thanks a lot for your message about the Flak-Abschußmeldungen at NARA.

Regards,
Frederic.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:09

Bonsoir Federic,

in the Nara archives are only 7 boxes containing original german Flak reports (Maybe around 400 reports). So the change they have a report for your case is more than low.
I made about 500 pictures, but couldn't find what you are looking for. (But i was focused when taking pictures only in southern french, bavaria and italy area.)
I was looking also in the german claims for Flak units (source military archive Freiburg), but couldn't find on a first look claims for Avord the 28th april 1944. Maybe other crash locations possible?

A bientot

Lino
Old 20th November 2012, 20:19

Hi Lino,

Thank you for the research in your files. Other possible locations are: Baugy – Villabon – Farges-en-Septaine – Villequiers – Mornay-Berry. Both bombers exploded in the air and pieces of one bomber were found near Baugy.

Regards,
Frederic
Old 20th November 2012, 20:32

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

JaFü II. Jagdkorps/Lfl. 3:
28.04.44 Hptm. Kurt Bühligen Stab II./JG 2 B-17 £ HF: 5.000 m. [40 km. E. Bourges]11.58- 12.25 Film C. 2027/I VNE: ASM
Old 20th November 2012, 20:33

Salut Federic,
i have a B-17 at Baugy, shot down at 11:58. The quality of the document is poor, the Flak unit should be "gem. 442" (gemischte Flak-Abteilung 442 ).
There is another claim for a Fortress by "gem. 442" at 11:50, but the loaction seems to "Bourget". But it is hard to read.
I can send you the pages if you like, send me your email adress via PM.

Regards

Lino
Old 20th November 2012, 20:37
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Film C. 2027/I

This 16mm microfilm also has all of the Flak-Abschußmeldungen for 28 April, too, but summarized into a one-line entry that gives the location, type of e/a, altitude the Flak hit the e/a, the identity of the Flak-Batterie making the claim.
Old 20th November 2012, 20:43

FrankieS is on a distinguished road

4235 440428 B-17 42-97199 91 324 Cater, James C Avord Avord F
4241 440428 B-17 42-3806 Georgia Rebel II 381 535 Henslin, Harold F Avord Airbase Baugy (8 km NE St.Avord) F