Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 12th April 2006, 00:15

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe air bases

Does anybody happen to have a map with all the Luftwaffe's known airbases on it?

In particular I'd like to know what bases were around Stettin but it would be very handy to have a map with them all

Old 12th April 2006, 01:46
Alter Hase

Kutscha
Re: Luftwaffe air bases

Skyraider, most western bases. A few are missing like Sachau and La Fere/Achery

http://jg26.vze.com/ > RLV Jagergradnetxkarte
Old 12th April 2006, 10:19

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyraider3D
Does anybody happen to have a map with all the Luftwaffe's known airbases on it?

In particular I'd like to know what bases were around Stettin but it would be very handy to have a map with them all
Hi,
I fully agree. However the Lw built 2600 airfields, so even a map in 1.1.000.000 would be very crowded - and very large .
Attached is a segment of a German map from late 1944 depicting you area of interest.
bregds
SES

Last edited by SES; 30th June 2006 at 08:43.
Old 12th April 2006, 11:21

Skyraider3D is on a distinguished road

Fantastic stuff, guys! Many thanks

Old 13th April 2006, 02:47
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SES
Hi,
I fully agree. However the Lw built 2600 airfields, so even a map in 1.1.000.000 would be very crowded - and very large .
Attached is a segment of a German map from late 1944 depicting you area of interest.
bregds
SES
Yes it would be hard but it does seem the some 'major' bases are missing.
Old 13th April 2006, 16:38

vzlion

Is there a simple list of Luftwaffe Airfields/Bases with there locations available? TIA.

Walt
Old 13th April 2006, 21:41

SES

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzlion
Is there a simple list of Luftwaffe Airfields/Bases with there locations available? TIA.

Walt
Hi Walt,
What was the result of your Google search?
bregds
SES
Old 14th April 2006, 14:41

warbirdfinder is on a distinguished road

Hello SES,

Would you have any maps covering the Russian Karalian Penn?

Thank you.
Old 14th April 2006, 15:58
Alter Hase

Andreas Brekken is on a distinguished road

Hi, guys.

I would propose expanding on the following idea. A few guys from Finnland used the Google Earth application and used the included possibilities of entering placemarks or points of interest.

The resulting .kmz file can be added to and edited, and we could for example dedicate a forum here to keep the most updated file, and search for unknown locations.

Just to give you an idea I have made an extract of my file, and uploaded it here:

www.ahs.no/discussion_images/WWII_Airfields.zip

So go ahead and install the Google Earth, and then doubleclick this file....

You can of course choose which overlays etc you want to use to get an idea of where these airfields are in relation to modern cities etc.

The same system can of course also be used for naming locations, cities etc, and the description you give a placemeark can for example include which units have used the airfield and when.

Remember that a placemark can be entered using geo coordinates, you do not have to use the cursor.

And it is really fun also.. you can search for a location and look around a bit and suddenly the distinct shape of an airstrip appear... still there 60 years later, but mostly in use for light aircraft and recreational flying.

I didnt see your question vzlion, and here is my answer: I do not know of a simple list, but there is a softbound book called "Fliegerhorstkommandanturen und Flugplätze der deutschen Luftwaffe 1935-1945" by Gianfranco Mattiello. There is a list in that one by Joachim Streit, but sadly he does not list geo coordinates for the locations, but the descriptions are of the sort '24 km WNW Stalingrad' for example for Pitomnik. The advantage of his list is that he has divided it into a listing for each country, so if you are searching for an airfield in for example Denmark, you will be able to find it quite fast.

I would guess that there is plentiful material available for the western and southern front areas from british and american intelligence, I have the data for the airfields in Norway, and these folders have the location in geo coordinates in them.

So.... lets get to work guys!

Regards,
Andreas
Old 14th April 2006, 16:49

vzlion

Hi SES,
I've done many Google searches quiet a few times. The best site I have found is the Fliegerhorst site and the various sites that list the Allied landing grounds. And lots and lots of present day airports, which I'm sure some were Luftwaffe airfield in WW2. What I would like to have is a simple list with name and coordinates.

Thanks for your interest.

Andreas, thanks for your reply also. That sound like a very good reference. However I am extremely handicaped in that I have no talent what-so-ever for reading any langiage except English (and I wonder about that sometimes ).

Didn't the Finns have a general idea of where the airfield was before they tried to locate it on Google Earth?

I do think that is a very good idea you have for a dedicated site for airfield locations.

For those who are interested, and may not be aware of it, the following site may be helpful in finding place names and locations.

http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/cntry_files.html

Also genology sites are some time very helpful in finding place names, although I haven't found much for the period 1918 to 1945.

Thanks for the replys guys.

Walt