Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th April 2012, 20:40

biltongbru is on a distinguished road
ww2 SAAF fighter pilot Hannes Faure

I met Hannes's son, Pierre Faure. He gave me Hannes's war photograph album and log books to copy. I made a web site where everything is presented, included around 2000+ "unpublished" photographs of Hannes and fellow pilots.

http://hannesfaure.yolasite.com/

Hannes did war duty from 1942-1945, serving mainly in SAAF 1 sqdn. He flew Hurricanes and Spit V's in the desert and then later Spit VIII's and IX's with the campaigns in Sicily and Italy.
Old 18th April 2012, 12:10
Alter Hase

Adriano Baumgartner is on a distinguished road
Re: ww2 SAAF fighter pilot Hannes Faure

Really amazing....truely!
Life in the Desert was "spartan"...and one did not have much to do on leisure...really beautiful pictures indeed (very interesting for those who intend to make 1/48 or 1/72 scale dioramas by the way...).
May I ask you if:
a) A book could arise from your researches? ( Hanne Faure certainly deserve it )
b) If you matched the Luftwaffe losses X Hanne Faure's claims?
All the best and thank you for sharing and preserving this fine "piece of History"...it was very kind of yours and of Pierre Faure.
Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 18th April 2012, 12:29
Alter Hase

Tinus, some questions about the lovely pictures:
1-Can you (or any other member) identify the Squadron and codes of the Blenheim IV crash?
2- The Bf 109 F or early G-2 shown with codes AX*? do have a werknummer visible? Is it possible to identify its origin?
3- I saw what seems a Fairey Albacore wreck with the wreck of Faure's Hurricane. Can we identify this wreck/or Squadron?

Yours
Adriano S. Baumgartner
Old 18th April 2012, 12:37
Alter Hase

Watching those mervellous pictures...I can only express my admiration for those "erks" who kept working and keeping the machines flying...under a very hot sun and all this dryness...It shouldn't be nice to refit Brownings or Oerlikons under such conditions ( = skin burns )...
Old 18th April 2012, 14:39
Alter Hase

kaki3152 is an unknown quantity at this point

The Bf109F was from III/JG-27 and captured by the Indian Division at Derna. The fighter was made flyable by 1 SAAF.
Old 18th April 2012, 15:38
Super Moderator

John Beaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellant work. Thanks so much for posting this on the web!
Old 18th April 2012, 19:12

biltongbru is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Baumgartner View Post
Tinus, some questions about the lovely pictures:
1-Can you (or any other member) identify the Squadron and codes of the Blenheim IV crash?
2- The Bf 109 F or early G-2 shown with codes AX*? do have a werknummer visible? Is it possible to identify its origin?
3- I saw what seems a Fairey Albacore wreck with the wreck of Faure's Hurricane. Can we identify this wreck/or Squadron?

Yours
Adriano S. Baumgartner
Thank you:

The Albacore crashed into Peter Metelerkamp's Hurricane. Peter was Faure's OC at 1 sqdn. See here Peter Metelerkamp's web site, here you can ID the date and location of the crash looking at Peter's log book and thus try to ID the Albacore unit and ser no:

http://petermetelerkamp.yolasite.com/