Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 9th October 2005, 13:06

O.Menu
Re: Photos + 10-8-05

Thanks for all those French planes Ed!

(And excuse to the others for this non informative post... But i cant resist)
Old 9th October 2005, 16:14
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Can anyone identify the Ju-87B with the "ace of hearts" insignia?http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...tem=6215725006. I've seen this insignia before but as far as I know it's never been identified. It looks like the last letters of the code are "DT," which would make it the 9th Staffel of some unit, but the photo isn't clear enough to be sure.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Old 9th October 2005, 16:48
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

After thinking about it and doing some research, it appears that this is a hitherto unknown insignia for III./St.G. 51, later, (7.40) II./St.G. 1. The wide white ring on the prop spinner is diagnostic. If the last two letters of the code are DT, this would be a problem, however, as this would indicate 9./St.G. 51, which already has a well-known "devil riding a bomb" insignia. Could this be a personal emblem, or could it be an insignia that predates the "devil riding a bomb" staffel insignia?
Old 11th October 2005, 01:15

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought an original copy of the same Me 262 manual in March for $15.50. I'm appalled at the 115,51 Euros bid so far on this manual. Is it really worth all that much? I know, it's what someone is willing to pay for it, but this is getting absurd.

Regards,
Richard
Old 11th October 2005, 07:01
Alter Hase

Roger Gaemperle is on a distinguished road

Richard,

If it was original it would be worth it as they are quite rare. However, this one is clearly a copy from either the 60ties or 80ties. The paper quality is far too good, the paper is too smooth and the cockpitlayout fold out page has a glossy surface. Usually, the staples are rusty of original manuals (I own a few and can compare) as they were made out of unprotected steel and 60 years of humidity in the air is enough to put a rusty surface on them. Also, the binding of original Me 262 manuals is different. The difficulty is that copies from the 60ties or also 80ties start to smell like the original 60years old manuals...

Regards,
Roger
Old 11th October 2005, 18:03
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

What I think is absurd is comic books from the 1960s going for hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

The second part of the problem is that there are buyers out there with more money than common sense. They do no research about the item they want to buy. And if they make a "mistake," who ends up paying for it? The fact that this may drive up the price of these items in the future is the result of their "accident." I was at a convention where an unscrupulous dealer attempted to sell me items worth maybe $40.00 for $180.00. He had his blank "poker face" on and a quick glance through the items he was offering confirmed this. However, a less knowledgeable person may have fallen for his ruse and clearly, this was what he was hoping for.

Ed West