Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 30th July 2012, 23:11

Richard T. Eger is an unknown quantity at this point
"Messerschmitt Me 262 Two-seat variants Me 262B-1a, Me 262B-1a/U1, Me 262B-2, Avia CS-92", by Malcolm V. Lowe

Dear All,

The titled book is a 4+ publication, published by MARK I Ltd. of Prague in 2012. This is a superb book and I must thank my friend Steve Muth for pointing it out to me. As far as I can tell, it is unavailable from U.S. sellers, so I ordered mine from Hannants in the UK.

The main sections of this 80-page book are:

Introduction
History and Summary
Foreign and post-war history
Technical description and armament
Me 262 two-seater and Avia CS-92 production overview
1/72 scale plans
Me 262 two-seater camouflage and markings
Camouflage profiles
Photographic section (mostly current day - South Africa and Czech Republic)
Glossary
Family tree (of Me 262 development)

Lowe lists his sources as: Prague-Kbely Aviation Museum, Technical Museum in Brno, Military History Institute in Prague, Museum of Military History (Saxonwald, South Africa), MARK I Ltd. archive.

These aren't our usual haunts, but Lowe has done a really splendid job of research. He's covered the WW II development well and included operational history of both the trainer and nightfighter.

To me, the area of what did the Czechs do after the war ended to build up a small fleet of Me 262's has always been of great interest, so I focused in here. Contrary to my expectations or misguided thinking, there really wasn't a need to manufacture Me 262's from parts left over by the Germans, as there were plenty of Me 262's to pick from. There was one available Me 262B-1a, but whether this was from the seemingly virgin fuselage found at Zatec airfield or from another, complete Me 262B-1a, Lowe isn't sure. However, having only 1 Me 262B-1a available for training purposes was deemed inadequate, so 2 of the other Me 262A's were converted to Me 262B-1a's, sans any available plans to do the job. Lowe takes us on a very detailed history right from after the war all the way until the end in 1951 when the Czechs received MiG-15's from the Soviet Union. Initially identified as Me 262's, this changed in 1947 when the single-seat Me 262's became S-92's and the 2-seat trainers became CS-92's. Lowe tracks the history timeline wise concurrently covering each aircraft, both the S-92's as well as the CS-92's, and the pilots that flew them. His is a very detailed history. For this section, alone, the book is a very valuable addition to any Me 262 historian's book collection.

French, U.S., British, and Soviet involvements with the Me 262 appear to be adequately covered, although I might have to back track a bit on this, as his coverage of French use has been covered far more extensively elsewhere. There is also a brief section of Japan's attempts to come into the jet age.

There is a nice selection of period Czech photos. Period photos from other countries are the usual suspects.

Lowe has made an attempt to identify, by Werknummer, Stammkennzeichen/Code, and descriptive notes the various Me 262B-1a's and Me 262B-1a/U1's.

Perhaps the greatest curiosity is that he has given us a side-view drawing of an Avia CS-92 with Heinkel HeS 011 engine, which he parenthetically calls a reconstruction. While he has a photo of an HeS 011 engine (V4), I have yet to find where he may discuss this possibility. He does mention that the Czechs looked at powering their Me 262's with BMW 003's, but this apparently went no where. I give him an A+ for delving into the most minute details.

The 4 pages of color profiles appear to be well done, although I will be the first to admit this is not my area of expertise. These are followed by 8-1/3 pages of mainly current day walk around type photos, with the rarest being a black and white photo of the rear cockpit instrument panel in the Avia CS-92 which Lowe claims has never been published before.

All in all, a book well worth buying.

Regards,
Richard

Last edited by Richard T. Eger; 31st July 2012 at 00:21.
Old 31st July 2012, 00:07
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: "Messerschmitt Me 262 Two-seat variants Me 262B-1a, Me 262B-1a/U1, Me 262B-2, Avia CS-92", by Malcolm V. Lowe

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your review and comments. I find it very odd that you state that there were many Me-262s to pick from. From where? I have read various accounts of Me-262 operations in the Prague area, but at such a late date in the war, it raises other questions. Why were any Me-262s in Prague? I have read unusual and incomplete information about German work in Brno and I am currently looking for any reports about German technical work that went on there.

Best,
Ed West
Old 31st July 2012, 00:34

Re: "Messerschmitt Me 262 Two-seat variants Me 262B-1a, Me 262B-1a/U1, Me 262B-2, Avia CS-92", by Malcolm V. Lowe

Dear Ed,

Unfortunately, the book has no index. I don't see a mention of Brno, but could just not be seeing it. I don't recall a discussion regarding it.

As for the number of Me 262's available, Lowe states:

"In total, Avia collected 18 Me 262s from Czechoslovak territory, including one two-seat Me 262B trainer. ... The rest of the thirteen aeroplanes were delivered to the Avia factory from Zatec Air Base, ..."

Getting back to Brno, is it possibly the facility was known by other name(s)?

Regards,
Richard
Old 31st July 2012, 01:30
Alter Hase

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your quick reply. It looks like I'll be doing more work related to Brno.

Best,
Ed West
Old 31st July 2012, 03:30
Alter Hase

DavidIsby will become famous soon enoughDavidIsby will become famous soon enough

Bf 109G wooden tail sections were built at the Butschowitz concentration camp (Brno in Czechoslovakia).
Old 1st August 2012, 17:26
Alter Hase

Thank you, David. I'm also looking for information regarding the Skoda Works which the Germans were using for various manufacturing purposes.

Ed
Old 1st August 2012, 22:59

Dear Ed,

The new JaPo book states that Avia was owned by Škoda. See page 50.

Regards,
Richard