Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 7th February 2005, 18:15

Modeldad will become famous soon enough
Costal Command Beaufighter profile is it accurate?

In the February issue of SAM is a profile of a Beaufighter in an interesting scheme, but is there any basis for it?

Mk X RD349 / P6-C, No. 489 Squadron RNZAF, Coatal Command, RAF Dallachy, winter 1944-45.

The top of the fuselage wings, tail planes and rudder are Extra Dark Sea Grey. The undersides are Sky. The sides of the fuselage, nacelles and leading edge of the wings and tailplanes are in White. There is a large white blotch on the rudder and the codes are either partially overpainted with white or worn off.

The artist, David Howley, questions whether the white may have been a winter camou of for use over Norwegian waters.

Comment, please.
Old 14th February 2005, 16:45
Alter Hase

Graham Boak is on a distinguished road
White Beaufighters

I thought that I'd seen a photo of this aircraft, but it turned out to be something slightly different. A 404 Sq a/c, coded 2.X, with what looks like a roughly worn white(?) overpaint on the fuselage sides, with just the pure plan view left in the original scheme. There's no way of guessing what the undersides were like, and the period is clearly earlier.

Plus there are a set of photos of a Torbeau in a pure Coastal EDSG/White scheme, but I mention this just for completeness's sake.
Old 15th February 2005, 02:26

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Well it certainly sounds interesting.
I have learned not to trust photographs when it comes to interpreting colours. Sometimes it's the sun, sometimes it's the film, sometimes it's.. well... both you and Graham knows about this, Steven.
I have not seen the profile but I'd like to know if it's with original black or white letters in order to pinpoint the date a bit more. Also, being an RD-serialled bird, has it got the extended fin and thimble radar?
My guess is it's a one-off. Perhaps they tested out a whitewash? Or a sealer? Perhaps they were sending the aircraft to Amarc?

As for Grahams 2G I have also seen this photograph and suspects it to be either overpainted anti-uboat paint or perhaps just dirty white and low contrast exposure. I have seen grey look like white and vice versa. Here's my interpretation of the anti-uboat scheme used by 236 Sqn down in Cornwall. Should be dated some time in the autumn of 43.