Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 17th September 2006, 17:42

Vraa84 is on a distinguished road
Beau RD351

Hi

This Beaufighter appears as motive for several profile drawings, both with and withouth the thimble nose randome. It served with 254 sqn. and was coded QM-F. Does anyone know any photo refrences to this specefic a/c.

Cheers Nick
Old 19th September 2006, 09:51

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Beau RD351

There are several photos of this aircraft from a series taken just after the war it seems. A fiew things most get wrong:

Black lettering, as was typical of 1945 Strike Wing aircraft. For some reason most profiles, and kits, end up with red letters.

Serials under wings were applied after the war to my knowledge.

Fuselage stripe system seems to have been retained on 254 Sqn Beaus though I have not seen this on 236 Sqn after 1943. (236 Sqn flew along with 143 Sqn and 254 Sqn from North Coates) .

Old 19th September 2006, 12:27

Thank you very much.

Where did you get this picture.

Cheers Nick
Old 19th September 2006, 17:55

Hi

Just looked in my book and it turned out that the a/c in the picture is another beau. RD579 with where wiyh the unit in 1945. RD351 was with 254 sqn. in 1944. Cut that be why the letter are in black?

Cheers Nick
Old 19th September 2006, 19:38

Yes I just realised this too.

In 1944 the aircraft most likely was without the Thimble nose and fin extention. To my knowledge the radar wasn't in use on Coastal Command machines until february 1945.
Having said that I'm sceptical about an RD-serialled Beau in '44. I thought that series wasn't delivered until after new year.

As for markings I'm quite sure the 254 Sqn machines carried Sky or White letters above the wings as long as the invasion stripes were in order - which means they were probably worn until December '44. However, it COULD be that 236- and 254 Sqn's actually carried Red, large letters from August '44, as this aircraft would indicate:

Old 20th September 2006, 10:14

Hi

A have a copy of the individual aircraft movement card, and it looks like the date at which it was delivered to 254 sqn apears to be 1-4-45, but it is really hard to see.

By the way, the particually a/c is the motive for the cover painting on Beaufighter in Action by Jerry Scott. Here it appears having the extended fin but no radar. I thought that there might be a photo from which this painting was made.

Cheers Nick
Old 20th September 2006, 20:34
Alter Hase

Alex Smart is on a distinguished road

Hi,

RD438 "QM-H" had a radome and spinners. Shown too with underwing serial numbers see Beaufighter Squadrons by Simon Parry.

Alex
Old 26th September 2006, 20:36

Hi kyrre

You wrote that the this picture was one of several pictures taken of RD579, do you know where to get the rest of them.

Cheers
Nick
Old 26th September 2006, 22:48

Hey Nick,

I have been looking through my Coastal Command books and have only found that one picture, but I am confident I have seen the same aircraft from different angles. In one picture you see the underwing serial quite clearly. I wonder if I saw it in Mark Postlethwaite's picture archives.

We seem to be working on the same issues though with different approaches. I'm trying to get to the bottom of which aircraft flew with thimbles from the start and it seems to me most RD- and some NV-serialled Beaus were delivered with thimble nose and extended fin. Apparently the first Dallachy based thimblenosed Beaus were in use from February 45, at least a former pilot of 489 Sqn claims this.