![]() |
|
|||||||
| Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union. |
![]() |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Hello everyone
On June 6th 1944 197 Squadron's Typhoons attacked a target described as 'GHQ Target XII/30, SE of Bayeux' in the ORB Form 540. Can anyone help with pinpointing the reference at all? Regards Simon |
|
#2
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
The next link describes an attack on a German Hign Command Headquarters in a Chateau near Bayeux.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/ww2peop...a1143901.shtml Other sites say the low level attack included eight aircraft from 197 squadron led by Wing Commander Baker. Here the location is described as “Chateau Le Parc” SE of Bayeux. Also attacked by other Typhoon units was a Chateau near St Lo. I think the attack near St Lo was against General Marcks HQ. https://books.google.com/books?id=w2...eauffe&f=false Unfortunately, I can not find any other references to a "Chateau le Parc" SE of Bayeux. I don't think the name is "correct", but maybe it will give someone a clue. Also a mention here: https://books.google.com/books?id=bL...yphoon&f=false |
|
#3
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Brilliant, many thanks indeed for the links - that seems to be the one.
The ORB Form 541 confirms that eight Typhoons led by W/C Baker took off at 0710 for 'low level bombing on G.H.Q. Target XII/30, S.E. of Bayeux'. The Form 540 states that 197 Sqn shared 'two bombing shows on enemy territory' with 266 Sqn. Two sections from 197 Sqn attacked their 'show', one led by W/C Baker, the other by S/Ldr Taylor. Regards Simon |
|
#4
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
The other attack that morning, near St Lo is discussed a little in this thread.
http://www.dday-overlord.com/forum/juin-t7349.html 'Le six juin, Yves Ezanno, Français Libre de la première heure, ancien du groupe Lorraine et muté au 198 squadron de la 2nd TAF équipé de Typhoon avait pour objectif le 6 juin, le château de La Meauffe au nord-est de Saint-Lô, siège du 84ème Corps d’Armée allemand. Douze Typhoon l’attaquent à la roquette et à leur départ le château est en flammes.' |
|
#5
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
I've been trying to pin down where 'Chateau le Parc' actually is. Google doesn't bring anything up of that name, but I've got three candidates so far:
1. Chateau de Bellefontaine, just under a kilometre SE from the centre of Bayeux on the D613, now a hotel. This looks the most promising so far. 2. Chateau d'Audrieu, about 5 miles SE of Bayeux, and the scene of a massacre of Canadian POWs on June 8th 1944. Also now a hotel. 3. Chateau de Martragny, about 3 miles SE of Bayeux on the E46, now a campsite. I've e-mailed the Bayeux Museum of the Battle of Normandy to see if they can help. Regards Simon |
|
#6
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Hello Simon, I'm pretty sure the place you are after is Chateau de Balleroy about 10 miles SE of Bayeux.
__________________
http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/ RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS |
|
#7
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Thanks for the pointer Bruce. I shall see if I can find anything more.
Regards Simon |
|
#8
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Simon, try these links ...
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...phoons&f=false https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...ed=0CCYQ6AEwAQ Bruce
__________________
http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/ RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS |
|
#9
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
Thanks for the links Bruce. I'd seen the mention of 'Chateau le Parc' in Chris Thomas' book, but thanks for the other link.
Apologies for asking, but what is the link between Chateau le Parc and Chateau de Balleroy? Regards Simon |
|
#10
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 197 Sqn, D-Day - target reference?
I have some notes about the area from 1980 (I don't even recall why now) naming some of the large houses used by various German HQs at that time and this house was, if I read my scribbles correctly, used by one of the artillery commands. This was cross referenced against an army issued map I had access to at the time. Also, not that it means much, our friend Google links the place to searches for 'chateau le parc' plus the location fits.
I am totally prepared to be corrected by anyone who knows better, but that was what came from my digging around back then.
__________________
http://www.filephotoservice.co.uk/ RESEARCH AT THE NATIONAL ARCHIVES & OTHER UK INSTITUTIONS |
![]() |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Sqn Ldr Tony Gaze DFC OAM, RIP | Steve Brew | Obituaries | 8 | 15th August 2013 23:12 |
| V-1 bombs shot down by U.S. Air Force | strafer | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 12 | 3rd April 2010 03:31 |
| Which Allied unit made the attack? | Mikael Olrog | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 8 | 31st January 2010 23:20 |
| Questions on 8th AF Swinemünde raid on 12 March 1945 | Juha | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 28 | 8th October 2009 16:32 |
| Operation Aphrodite | Brian | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 25 | 12th March 2006 18:40 |