![]() |
|
|||||||
| Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies. |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
#11
|
|||
|
|||
|
Re: 3 June 1942 Ju88 shot down off Southwold, Suffolk
Greetings, to all who participated to this ‘Thread’,
Although I cannot confirm which Ju88 was shot down by the Rear Gunner of the Wellington, I will, if I may, try not to bore you with my thoughts on this episode:- Now we come to the part in which I have to say either ‘Yes’ I know the Ju88 that was shot down or, ‘No. I unfortunately have to answer ‘NO’ to this question. I can only surmise which one it was and my reasons. The Ju88 that I THINK is the aircraft shot down by the Wellington that night was:- Ju88 D-1 Werk No. 1591 Code. F6+CL of 3. (F)/122 (Luftflotte 3) The crew comprised;- Pilot. Oblt. Friedrich Raschke Fwble. (Karl Bachmann. Uffz. Joseph Steigerwald. Gfr. Karl Schwart. All of whom are listed as ‘missing. This aircraft was on a reconnaissance en route to or from Scotland and was reported as ‘missing’. The time Sgt Hirst shot down a Ju88 was0248 hours on the 3 June 1942. My puzzle is:- 1. Why was the Ju88 30 miles off the Southwold, Suffolk coast when shot down? a. Had it come across from Germany, or returning to, at a narrower part of the North Sea to save the long overwater flight? b. Spotted the Wellington and thinking that it may have a relaxed crew aboard due to being close to home after a raid? c. It appears strange if it was the reconnaissance aircraft to attack the Wellington when its sole job was to take photograph’s, unless they thought they had an easy target, but Sgt. Sharp and Sgt.Hirst were very much awake. According to the combat report the Ju88 made two attacks and was each time identified as a Ju88 by the Wellington crew. In the end I have nothing positive, but this Ju88 was one of two ‘missing’ that night, the other was a bomber and the main attack was on Canterbury with was well south of the Wellington encounter. We may never know the true identity of that Ju88, but someone may come up with the proof that we are seeking One thing all these years later, we must have some feeling for the German families of the four crew members lost that night just as we have for the families of the Wellington who, only a short time later were killed themselves. What a terrible toll war has on those young men, whatever side they were on, both were doing their duty. I do thank everyone who has assisted me on this search for the truth, and that is what our main aim is – the truth. thanks again, Digger |
| Thread Tools | |
| Display Modes | |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Rudolf Linz 8./Jg5 1942/1943 | Johannes | Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces | 5 | 23rd May 2012 12:01 |
| Who shot down German aces (Sattig, Bauer, Lescher, Macher) on 10 August 1942? | DiegoZampini | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 7 | 15th April 2011 17:42 |
| 4 more Ju88 A-17 june 1944 | martin75 | Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces | 30 | 19th September 2010 15:40 |
| 3 Ju88 A-17 june 1944 | martin75 | Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces | 2 | 26th May 2010 11:54 |
| Shot down over France - June 8th 1944 | Beauch | Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces | 3 | 25th March 2010 19:18 |