Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26th December 2005, 21:48

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Force-landed Typhoon information needed...

Here's a wee challenge:

I have a modelling project in my head, with a force landed Typhoon, an evading pilot, and German tank personnel searching for the pilot. (Title could perhaps be "The hunter becoming the hunted (huntee? )" or something to that effect.)

Admittedly Typhoons are not my forte, though I find the aircraft to be one of the coolest around during the war. So I need some help in order to make the diorama "sort of" authentic, though I don't mind a lot of artistic license.
So what I'm looking for is this:
- Serial and preferably individual squadron letter of a Typhoon 1b with 4-blade propeller and Tear-drop canopy.
- Force landing behind enemy lines post invasion. Falaise or Bodenplatte period is preferable. Pilot must have survived.
- Hopefully rocket rails though not important.

I paid a visit to this excellent 198 Sqn site and came up with a few serials, though no individual letters. If anyone's got anything on any of these flights that would help me a long way on my way...

JP900 Hit by flak and crashed on the 28th November 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Lt D. C. Colebrook, taken POW.)

JR306 Hit by flak and crashed on the 10th August 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Lt MacLennan, survived.)

JR384 Forced landed and crashed on the 14th September 1944. (Pilot, P/O Goblet, survived.)

JR512 Shot down by flak on the 14th June 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Sgt Stratford, survived.)

MN119 Reported missing from operations on the 19th August 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Lt S. G. J. Lane, taken POW.)

MN293 Hit by flak and crashed on the 25th July 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Lt Sheppard, survived.)

MN314 Forced landed after hit by flak on the 18th June 1944. (Pilot, Flt/Lt R. Armstong, taken POW.)

MN573 Forced landed after engine failure on 2nd April 1945. (Pilot, W/O Ryan, survived.)

PD508 Crashed after engine cut out on the 13th of April 1945. (Pilot, F/O Bastin, survived.)

I did find this story quite along the lines I was thinking...

"Flt/Lt DENIS CHARLES COLEBROOK RAF
On the 28th November 1944 Typhoons of 198 and 164 Squadrons RAF attacked the German HQ in the village of Houten, Netherlands. During the course of the attack Flt/Lt Colebrook, flying JP900, (TP.O) was hit by flak and crashed landed at Culemborg. Subsequently he was taken POW on the 21st December after making several attempts to elude capture by crossing the river Waal with the aid of the Dutch Resistance. Transported to Stalag 111A he was liberated from captivity by a Russian armour spearhead on the 9th of April 1945 before returning to an RAF career after the war. It is thought that Flt/Lt Colebrook, from Upminster in Essex, died during the late 1990's."

I know I'm asking a lot, but I appreciate input, be it plausible pilot fates, possible serials/letters, anectodes or just your thoughts on my idea for a diorama or perhaps just the title.

Regards,

Kyrre