Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 31st July 2015, 20:08

Mysticpuma is on a distinguished road
Buried Hurricanes in or around Murmansk? Another speculative question

Well here goes nothing.

I was recently talking to Eric Carter who flew Hurricanes with 81 Squadron for and with the Russians at Murmansk.

In our conversation he told me that Stalin was keen for the Russian people not to know that there had been outside help and so scores of Hurricanes were buried in mines around the area to cover up what had happened.

And that's about the long and short of it.

Personally I would suggest if they were going to be destroyed, a big fire would have worked?

However as I had this conversation with him, I just thought I would ask here if this had ever been the subject of speculation or mentioned here before?

Cheers, MP