|
B17 HB788 - Sgt N V Madgwick
I have been intermittently researching the RAF career of my late partners cousin. He was Sergeant Norman Victor Madgwick RAFVR, 1606117. He joined at No 10 Initial Training Wing (Grand Hotel Scarborough??). He was an air gunner in 214 FMS Squadron and was a member of the crew of B17 HB788 BU-B who were all killed when the aircraft was shot down on 6 November 1944. The aircraft which took off from RAF Oulton was on a "Jostle" mission in support of a Lancaster/Mosquito bombing raid to the junction of the Mittelland and Ems Dortmund Canal at Gravenhorst. I have details of other crew members Who are all buried in the Reichswald cemetery. I visited and photographed the graves earlier this year.
I believe the crash site was at or near Altenberg.
I would be grateful for confirmation of the crash site and for any information relating to how the aircraft was shot down and also anything relevant to his short career.
|