![]() |
|
|||||||
| Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union. |
|
|
Thread Tools | Display Modes |
|
#1
|
|||
|
|||
|
Loss of Capt. I.V.Bochkov to Finish Air Force/Flak ?
Hello,
While recently looking through the Air Britain Archive Special No.5, page 118 I came across the RAF serial number BX238. From searching further I could find nothing more of it in the book ? However, that serial number was for a Bell Airacobra I. It was one of 300 accepted under Contract A- 1476 ( see Air Brit's "The British Commission & Lend-Lease", page 106. 192 of these a/c were diverted to the US, 40 whilst in the US and the remaining 152 after export to the UK. Net receipts are listed as only 108, so I assume that some were lost at sea ? Anyway back to BX238. How does this serial number end up in the AB arch 5 ? I took up Carl-Fredrik Geust's "Red Stars " No.3. Inside the front cover there is a colour profile of Airacobra Yellow"16", with the serial number BX728,( I think that it should have been BX328 ). On page 32 at the bottom there is a picture of an Airacobra (and its pilot)with tail number "16", and text which says "Capt. I.V. Bochkov, 19 Guards IAP, in front of his P-400 Aircobra, East Karelia 1942. Bochkov was killed in action on April 4th 1943". I think that his a/c was BX238 Yellow "1jpg Found on the www - http://lend-lease.airforce.ru/englis...39/Bochkov.jpg Anyone know what happened to Capt. Bochkov and/or his a/c ? Did the Fin's try to repair the crashed a/c, hence it being recorded in the AB archive special No.5 ? Many thanks Alex Last edited by Alex Smart; 21st May 2017 at 16:01. |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| Korea-MiG-15 and the other side of the history | Daniel Nole | Post-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation | 24 | 20th April 2022 20:18 |
| Sunderland N9028 shot down 21 July 1940 | Brian | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 10 | 15th May 2017 19:48 |
| True air combat records of Spanish Civil War? | GuerraCivil | Pre-WW2 Military and Naval Aviation | 11 | 30th December 2014 00:58 |
| The Effect of Numerical Superiority in the Air War | Christer Bergström | Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces | 11 | 3rd March 2005 08:39 |
| Eastern vs Western Front (was: La-7 vs ???) | Christer Bergström | Allied and Soviet Air Forces | 66 | 1st March 2005 19:44 |