Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd October 2022, 19:18

schwarze-man will become famous soon enough
Re: List of DB 605A engine construction numbers?

Hi everyone,

I have been able to study the relatively small number of DB 605AS engines with their engine serial numbers and the / assembly number ( /AS number) details highlighted by Tomislav. The basic background is that the first detailed flight test report of a Bf 109 G-AS that I have was on 22.12.43 with engine number 00702626. The engine serial corresponds to a build date of mid October '43 and the two month period before the flight test seems to probably represent the minimum that might be seen between engine build and flying at that time.
A point that can be seen on two of the engine data numbers is where the /AS number is out of sequence to the normal engine serial number. Here, I presume that the /AS number was allocated after construction of the complete AS engine. Because of this, it would happen that engines with delayed completion would be allocated a later /AS number than their serial number would suggest. So, an engine might have a later /AS number and where this appears out of sequence, it indicates that the engine was delayed before being completed as an AS and given a /AS number.
This does not really mean to apply to later possible "rebuilt" engines. That is a different question that I don't have info about, yet.
So, in particular, we see engine 00704581/346 which seems to be strange compared with 00705160/106, an engine number 579 later but with an /AS number 240 earlier. I think the situation here is that engine 04581 was delayed and it was completed as an AS engine about six weeks later.
Another possibility is errors in data. However, this does not seem to be a real issue and, the data is pretty solid for what I will propose.
So, my basic proposal is that the initial build of DB 605 AS-0 engines was a short run of 100 engines built in October '43. 00702626 would be an early engine in that block. The Flight test paper was compiled by Messerschmitt Augsberg on 22. 01. 44 and the positive performance improvement seems to have led to further engine/airframe production decisions.
The next batch of DB 605 AS-0 production started about end Feb '44, with engines at about 00705000. The first in the data is 00705160/106. Production at Genshagen was very high at this time, averaging about 900 DB 605 engines per month.
It is possible to calculate different average figures using different combinations of these statistics but, the average over the whole period from engine 00705160/106 to 00709767/1720 gives 4,607 DB605 engines produced, of which 1,614 were AS versions, which is 35% of production end Feb '44 till mid Aug '44.
The AS engine production continues after this point but, unfortunately I do not have the /AS numbers to help. However, I believe that this pretty much covers the very important stage of DB 605 AS engine production, up to late summer at Genshagen. DB 605 D versions were coming along at that stage.
Also, what happened with the later AS version production is another subject!
The data used is covered by the AS numbers given. There are later numbers up to 00711041, but without /AS number.
I hope this is useful to some!

Cheers

SM