Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5th August 2023, 21:06

CornwallPhil is on a distinguished road
Plea for help from the Channel Islands

I have been contacted by a family from Jersey trying to confirm their father's wartime memory of a dogfight over St Helier, Jersey, on or just before VE Day, 8th May 1945. The father, who is still alive, was a 13 year old lad, stood near the Commercial Buildings (near where the tunnel is now) on St Helier Harbour when he witnessed a dogfight over St Aubin's Bay between a ME109 and a Spitfire. He recalls German plane billowing black smoke rolled out of sight towards St Peter's airport chased by the Spitfire. The British plane returned a few moments later, performed a victory roll over the bay before heading back towards England. I would be grateful if anyone knows of any document or published account that could confirm this memory. I know the Luftwaffe continued to engage in combat even on the 8th May stating the war didn't finish until midnight although those combats tended to be on the Eastern Front, such as Hartman's, for example. Any assistance gratefully received.

Tags
1945, jersey, st helier