Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 15th May 2008, 14:16

Peter Cornwell is on a distinguished road
Re: July 1940 - What really happened to II./KG 76 and I./StG 76 ?

Doug,

I will be interested to learn what evidence exists to support your statement that ‘the greater part’ of III./StG77 was formed from I./StG76 with ‘a smaller part’ coming from II.(St.)/KG76. My question is prompted by an analysis of recorded personnel numbers of all casualties reported by III./StG77 throughout 1940 which reveals their origins to have been as follows:

Stab II.(St.)/KG76 (1 record), 4.(St.)/KG76 (4), 5.(St.)/KG76 (4), 6.(St.)/KG76 (1), 9./KG76 (1), 8./StG51 = 5./StG1 (1), 5./StG2 (1), 8./StG2 (1), and 5./StG77 (1).

Significantly no record of any personnel originating from I./StG76. So is it possible that some confusion has occurred between I./StG76 and II.(St.)/KG76 ? A similar analysis of all I./StG3 losses throughout 1940 confirms that all their casualties carried the same IDs as those of I./StG76 and no other unit is represented.

Major Walter SIGEL, Gruppenkommandeur of I./StG76, became Kommandeur of I./StG3 on re-designation of the unit – surely a simple transition ? And as previously mentioned, the Gruppenkommandeur of the newly-constituted III./StG77 was Hauptmann Helmut BODE.

Good luck with your book.