Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th May 2009, 16:48

Ian Lewin is on a distinguished road
Luftwaffe convoy attacks Western Med Sept 43 - Jan 44

In the evening of 10/1/44 two Beaufighter VI F's from 153 Sqdn ( based at Reghaia ) intercepted nine low flying Ju88's 40 miles south east of Ibiza.
In the ensuing action one Ju88 was shot down and several others damaged, the formation was forced to retire after dumping their torpedoes. My brother (F/O A M H Lewin) was the Observer in one of the Beau's which was badly damaged in this action and subsequently exploded with no survivors.
I have a detailed report on this action from the crew of the other Beau which suggests that my brothers Beau whilst making a stern attack was being hit by heavy return fire, the bulk of which came from the formation leader which seemed to be 20 or 37 mm. Were some Ju88's equiped with a turret mounted canon ? I was told that it wasn't a Ju188.
Are there any Luftwaffe rreports on this action ?

I have a letter from one of the 153 sqdn pilots descrbiing an action which took place sometime in November/Decmber '43 in which four Beaus from 153 (two of the aircraft being crewed by Americans ) and two French Spitfires imtercepted a 'sneak evening raid'. It seems that at least six German aircraft were shot down. No information was given as to the number or type of the attackers. There is a PRO photo ( of which I have a copy) of some of the crews involved {including my brother) together with their names.
Again I would have thought that the Luftwaffe records might have some reference to this acton. I cannot be more specific as to the exact date.
I do have my brothers Observer log book but this does not give any clues.