Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 9th October 2015, 16:17
offshore offshore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
offshore is on a distinguished road
Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

I'm looking for ID of two Lancasters (type I and III) lost on a minelaying operation on 28/29 April 1943. Both were Lancasters of Group 1 - target was baltic port Gdynia, one was shut by Germans off Łeba (Leba), the other - I don't know.
Chorley's "Bomber Command Losses" will have the serial numbers and crews of the two missing 1 Group Lancs, though I don't have a copy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 9th October 2015, 16:36
Chris Goss's Avatar
Chris Goss Chris Goss is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 12,424
Chris Goss is a jewel in the roughChris Goss is a jewel in the roughChris Goss is a jewel in the rough
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

7 Lancasters were lost on a major Gardening night so you might have to be a little more precise as all were lost in and around the Baltic and Leba isn't mentioned by Chorley
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 9th October 2015, 19:13
offshore offshore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
offshore is on a distinguished road
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

Leba isn't mentioned as I found it remains off Leba, and with the help of German report from May 1943 I found out that the plane ( ''british bomber'' )was shut down on 28/29 April 1943.
Take a look at the linked Night Raid Report 28-29 April 1943, the Lancs I'm looking for are marked with yellow: Target was Gdynia, Group 1, type: Lanc I and III, one of each type missing.
http://www.technikanurkowania.pl/for...bers112005.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 9th October 2015, 20:05
udf_00's Avatar
udf_00 udf_00 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 719
udf_00 is on a distinguished road
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

http://www.caribbeanaircrew-ww2.com/?tag=dfo

ED408 : http://www.aircrewremembered.com/Bom...earch/?q=veira
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 9th October 2015, 20:57
MW Giles MW Giles is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Worcestershire
Posts: 741
MW Giles will become famous soon enough
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

It is one of three 12 Sqn aircraft.
(4 from 12 Sqn were lost that night but one (LM313) came down near Kritzmow, near Rostock while Gardening in Geraniums area).

Mk I W4954
Mk I ED325 - part of crew buried in Malborg cemetery
MkIII ED408

Chorley lists them all as Gardening in the Spinach area.

Unfortunately the month of April is missing from the squadron ORB, therefore I cannot correct Chorley and tell you which ones went to which Gardening area

Martin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 9th October 2015, 22:28
Alex Smart Alex Smart is offline
Alter Hase
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 4,485
Alex Smart is on a distinguished road
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

Hello,
Lancasters lost on night of 28/29th April 1943 were -

12 Sqn - Lancaster I - W4954 - Baltic Sea
12 Sqn - Lancaster I - ED325 - Sea
12 Sqn - Lancaster III - ED408 - Sea
12 Sqn - Lancaster III - LM313 - Germany
61 Sqn - Lancaster I - W4898 - Baltic Sea
103 Sqn - Lancaster III - ED733 - Denmark
207 Sqn - Lancaster I - W4945 - Denmark
Ref: Henk's list's

Alex
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 9th October 2015, 22:56
offshore offshore is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 13
offshore is on a distinguished road
Re: Lancaster lost on 28/29 April 1943

12 Sqn - Lancaster III - ED408. All is in the link given by udf 00.
The body of navigator was washed ashore and buried in Leba.
His name ( and all other crew members I guess ) is commemorated in Malbork Commonwealth War Cemetery.I'm gonna visit this place soon.
Also I have to find out if the grave in Leba is still there.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fw Winkler of 3./JG 54 lost on 11 February 1943 Laurent Rizzotti Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 2 11th February 2015 13:38
Update:107 Plane crash in WWII, 30 km around of Heidelberg Area Part 1 Klaus Deschner Allied and Soviet Air Forces 4 15th August 2013 03:27
Z1007 88 Gruppo lost April 1944 Brian Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 9 3rd February 2013 14:17
Lt. Klemens Karl von Westerholt + April 1943? Melvin Brownless Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces 5 29th June 2012 01:35
PRU Mosquito loss on April 1943 Adriano Baumgartner Allied and Soviet Air Forces 7 5th May 2010 10:16


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 16:33.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004 - 2026, 12oclockhigh.net