Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 25th March 2020, 09:18

David2703 is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Crashed Enemy A/C Reports or (Belgian) experts on Le Culot and Charleroi-Gosselies airfields?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel van Heijkop View Post
Hi David, I will see what I can do. PS I haven't forgotten about your request, I just need some more time to look things up.

Regards,

Marcel

Hi Marcel, many thanks, I appreciate the effort!

Best,
David
Old 25th March 2020, 16:12

joel husson is on a distinguished road
Re: Any Crashed Enemy A/C Reports or (Belgian) experts on Le Culot and Charleroi-Gosselies airfields?

thank you very much, for these documents
Regards,

Joel
Old 30th March 2020, 21:27

Marcel van Heijkop is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel van Heijkop View Post
Thanks Nick! Until recently I had never realized that Beauvechain and Le Culot were actually the same airfield. It’s a pity the Allied investigation team for Le Culot/Beauvechain only recorded the Werknummer and doesn’t mention the tactical markings and aircraft code..Unfortunately of the aircraft in question the aircraft code Z6+HL is fully visible on the fin, however the Werknummer (330..then possibly a 2..last 2 characters illegible..) can only partially be seen. I even wonder whether some of the A-4s in the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report for Le Culot were misidentified and could actually be S-3s, as for example the nose of the aircraft I’m investigating is completely destroyed. Does anybody have an overview (i.e. list) of the Werknummer Block for the Ju 88 S-3 (assuming that they were converted as a batch rather than as individual and completely different aircraft)?”
Regards,

Marcel
Hi all,

It took some time, but at last the photos of Z6+HL (thanks Piet!!). Anyone willing to give it a shot with regard to the full Werknummer or the correct airfield?

Best regards,

Marcel
Old 30th March 2020, 22:06
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about

After inexpertly adjusting the fin area with Photoshop, I read the Werk Nummer as 3302[?][6 or8]. I wouldn't swear to it though.
Old 30th March 2020, 22:19

David2703 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for the photos Marcel!

Might it help with identifying the wknr. if one knew what type of engines these had? The third picture gives a decent view.
Old 31st March 2020, 01:38

ArtieBob will become famous soon enough

Marcel, I tried to send you a message but yor box was full.

ArtieBob
Old 31st March 2020, 09:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtieBob View Post
Marcel, I tried to send you a message but yor box was full.

ArtieBob
Hi Art,

I just removed some PMs from my inbox, my apologies for the inconvenience. However, feel free to contact me directly at my email address, it's still the same as when we corresponded about your Ju 88 books. BTW Is yours still the same?

Best regards,

Marcel
Old 1st April 2020, 11:16
Alter Hase

Marc-André Haldimann will become famous soon enough

After fiddling with the faintly legible W.Nr. of your fourth photo, Marcel, we might have W.Nr. 330 243. Digits 330 2.3 are relatively clear to read, digit "4" is a possibility.

Cheers
Marc
Old 1st April 2020, 16:04
Alter Hase

RT is an unknown quantity at this point

If M-A is right, nd the STKZ for this serie, 240 to 249, is BG+H,then BK+K.
240/241/242/245/246/247 are known nd still named in other units after oct 44, the Ju88S found in Reims was 330257 !, no spur anywhere from the 243...

Rémi
Old 1st April 2020, 23:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc-André Haldimann View Post
After fiddling with the faintly legible W.Nr. of your fourth photo, Marcel, we might have W.Nr. 330 243. Digits 330 2.3 are relatively clear to read, digit "4" is a possibility.

Cheers
Marc
Hi Marc,

Could it be a "7" instead of a "4", i.e. 330273 for the W.Nr. as one source with apparently sharper copies of Crow's photos states? If that's indeed the case, this "little mystery of mine for several years" is finally solved as this I./KG66 aircraft can now be linked to Beauvechain/Le Culot: In the Crashed Enemy Aircraft Report supplied by Nick earlier in this thread we can read that 330273 was (wrongly) attributed by the Allied investigation team for Beauvechain/Le Culot to a Ju 88 A-4. Which is quite reasonable considering that after all the Ju 88 S variants were converted A-4s and that everything that makes it an "S" (engines, smooth glass nose) was either missing or destroyed on this particular aircraft!

Beauvechain/Le Culot would also make perfect sense considering it was one of the airfields used during the retreat by I./KG66 from France (Montidier, then Lille-Vendeville) through Belgium (Brussels-Melsbroek and Beauvechain) and the Nerherlands (Eindhoven) to Germany (Frankfurt Rhein-Main and finally Dedelstorf).

What do you think?

Regards,

Marcel