Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines > Jagdgeschwader 1, 2, 4, 5 & Sturmstaffel 1 Chronicles

Jagdgeschwader 1, 2, 4, 5 & Sturmstaffel 1 Chronicles by Erik Mombeeck

Old 25th September 2024, 14:59

Erik Mombeeck will become famous soon enough
Last volume of the JG 2 chronicle

Hi guys,

First of all, I hope you are doing very well. I can say that about myself, even though I was still a young man when I started my research and first interviews, and became now a grandfather for the third time 2 months ago.
I am pleased to draw your attention to my new and very last "big book", with which concludes now my research:

Am Himmel Frankreichs
Die Geschichte des JG 2 "Richthofen"
(Band 7: 1944 - 1945)

Several decades had to pass before a detailed chronicle of the German Luftwaffe's Jagdgeschwader 2 could be published. Despite the heavy losses suffered by the “Richthofen” and despite the many years that have passed since then, I was able to get in touch with more than one hundred veterans of the JG 2 and numerous family members of fallen or deceased pilots during the nearly 30 years of research, whose personal accounts and private documents lend this chronicle a heartfelt human element.

The seventh and final volume describes in detail the last eight months of the “Richthofen Geschwader” from its return to German soil in September 1944 (80 years ago) until the surrender of the German army. This period was characterized by desperate battles, e.g. over the Remagen bridge, over the ruins of Berlin, as well as deadly missions such as the famous “Bodenplatte” operation. They caused an alarmingly high number of casualties among the young pilots of JG 2.
The memories of the active participants allow the reader to participate in the collapse of the Reich and to accompany the endless lines of concentration camp prisoners during their evacuation through the tragic “Nacht und Nebel” (Night and Fog) operation, and so many incredible events of the war’s end...

As in previous volumes, the new one contains numerous photos, the majority of which being published for the first time, lists of losses and victories, as well as, this time, acknowledgements and sources, and last but not least a general index of names covering all 7 volumes.

For further information, you can contact me via my website: www.luftwaffe.be or using this form.

I have taken great pleasure in conducting this research over so many years, and hope you've enjoyed reading it too.

Best regards Erik or Eric (no longer so important since I'm a new retired now)