Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Reviews > Books and Magazines

Books and Magazines Please use this forum to review or discuss books and magazines.

Old 7th December 2012, 22:22
Alter Hase

Juha is on a distinguished road
Re: Deliver us from Darkness - Arnhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickM View Post
Read George Koskimaki's history of the 101st during Market Garden & quite frankly I got the impression that ANY tank with slab sides was a 'Tiger' & any tank with sloping armor was a King Tiger...of course, if you stood around & stared at them for too long you'd probably end up getting killed...and the only way I figured it out was because those airtransported 6pound AT guns were just doing TOO GOOD a job of penetrating the armor of an actual "Tiger".
It depends were 6pdr hit a Tiger, it was perfectly capable to penetrate Tiger's side and rear armour from 500y with APC and APCBC ammo but not Tiger's front armour. There were 14 Tiger Is and 28 Tiger IIs/King Tigers committed against British and 82nd N of Nijmegen but I cannot recall were there any Tigers committed against 101st. So even if US troops reported many times Mk IVs as Tigers not all "Tigers" were Mk IVs, some really were Tigers or Panthers.
Old 8th December 2012, 04:05
Alter Hase

Jukka Juutinen is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Deliver us from Darkness - Arnhem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukka Juutinen View Post
PanzerTracts series is one that I am not too impressed with.
Oops, I misread the original post as referring to "Panzerwrecks", not "Pandertracts". It is the former that I am not impressed with, the latter is an excellent, though overpriced series.