Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 30th April 2007, 20:16

spitfire220 is on a distinguished road
Re: III/JG26 history research

Thanks Jarod, I'm happy to have information about 1st Lt Martin. B. Truman.

I've talking to my mother-in-law about my research, because my father-in-law is hospitalized and is too illness to understand what I'm talking about. I hope he restablished soon for more informations having about the real crashzone, because all informations are not so precise.

I hope having a lot af informations like these about the story of Chièvres Airfield between 1940 and 1944 by other members of the forum.

Your Truly,

Spitfire220
Old 18th May 2007, 20:08

Hello everyone

drgondog, I've sent you a message with new elements about Lt Ben Martin T.

Well, does anyone whom could say if Martin is still alive? I've his last adress but his letter was sent to my father-in-law in 1994... I don't know if he always living at this adress...
Old 31st August 2007, 19:53

Hello, after more and more research, and with the death of my father-in-law on last 10th of august, I had to make order in all paper at his home.

So I found a little book that Lt Ben Martin T send to him in 1994. This is an autobiography were he relate all his story from the moment he decided to join the airforces to the moment he came back to USA.

This dedicated book is very precious and have a lot of informations.

I try now to find more pictures of him, its plane, for more illustrate its novel.
I found that the name of its plane was "REDDY FOR ACTION" and no "READY FOR ACTION" like i found on a lot of forum. it was in relation to the red hair's lady painted oon the nose of the plane. She was painted by the sergeant who was charged to survey it's plane.

I read too that a bomber pilot of B17 took some pictures of B.T. Martin during a fly. Lt. Roland McRae who arrived at Steeple Morden. I know, by reading this one that Lt Martin had these photo's in its collection...

If I could have more informations about Lt. Roland McRae, perhaps could I have a copy of these photos.

A friend gave me a replica of the Martin's P47. But I'm sure that the painting is not correct. Also, he do the mistake with the name and called it "Ready For Action"...

Bests regards,

Spitfire220,
Old 18th September 2007, 21:45

There's anybody who have pictures of planes used by the the 357th FS, 355th FG, eventually for repainting this kit plane...?

B.R,

Spitfire220
Old 19th September 2007, 17:42

Gunther is on a distinguished road

Evidently Major Klaus Mietusch was shot down by two 8th AF aces: 352nd's Virgil Meroney (8 Mar 44, No. 8 immediately after Mietusch's 60th) and 361st's Wm Beyer (17 Sep 44, No. 6?) Beyer became an ace in a day with claims for five 190s. Mietusch's previous nine defeats resulted in some wounds but after 75 Abschusse the III/JG26 Kommandeur was KIA.

http://aviationlandscapes.blogspot.com/2007/07/virgil-meroney-downs-klaus-mietusch.html

Incidentally, 44 of Mietusch's victories have been identified, including two of his 16 Russians.

http://www.luftwaffe.cz/mietusch.html

I don't know how his victors were idenfied among the other combatants, but wonder how many other aces have been shot down by two or more aces.
Old 19th September 2007, 21:39

Thanks Gunther, I suppose that these planes were dark green painted... Was it the same at the 357th FS, 355th FG, because the reference you give are from aces of the 352nd and 361st...