Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 27th September 2012, 21:44
Alter Hase

Snautzer will become famous soon enough
Re: For the Map part of the EoE Project Need Daily Front Lines for Norwegian and Western Campaigns; report on Weiss translation status

try http://www.zuidfront-holland1940.nl/...en-overzichten

69 situation maps see 10-14 mei link top of the page for day to day description facebook site http://nl-nl.facebook.com/pages/Stic...10176415707958

Old 27th September 2012, 21:53
Alter Hase

Frank Olynyk is on a distinguished road
Re: For the Map part of the EoE Project Need Daily Front Lines for Norwegian and Western Campaigns; report on Weiss translation status

Larry,
If you use addall.com you will get 50 hits for the title Der Zweite Weltkrieg im Kartenbild. Many of these are duplicates, since a given bookstore will usually list books with several services. From this you can pick and choose the copy and prices. It appears that there were seven volumes published; volume 4 covers the Balkans and Crete; volume 5 in three parts covers the Russian campaign (although I don't remember seeing parts two and three listed -- just one, Mitte).

Enjoy!

Frank.
Old 28th September 2012, 00:51
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Larry,

If hope you don't mind my saying it, but I think (as you were mentioning ebooks) that all non-relevant photos, for example, would make great reference books for modelers and researchers. I work in book publishing and I can imagine you groaning at the thought of more work when it's clear you are up to your eyeballs already, but I, personally, would pay $20.00 to $30.00 US for a book of unpublished photos that showed good detail, codes and markings.

I know the market would be small, but if say, Europe would be a better market then the contents could go to a publisher in England, who would then assemble the captions and do the layout. Since foreign shipping is always an issue for those in the States, perhaps you could do an American run with Eagle Editions.

Just a few thoughts. And I do hope you are taking the time to eat and drink between all the work

Best regards,
Ed
Old 28th September 2012, 01:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Ed,

Thanx for your comments. We're giving serious thought to spin off publications both hard-bound and eBooks for both our "Eagles over the Pacific" and "Eagles over Europe" Projects. I have no serious hope of ever recouping the costs of underwriting and supporting these projects, but I would like to see all the info/photos/maps/profiles/artwork that have been or are being generated by these projects get the widest possible exposure to the interested public with some return on the money invested. We're just finishing the Bf109 profile templates (D-1, E-1, E-1/B, E-3, E-3/B, E-4, E-4/B, E-7, E-8 and F-1) for example, and plan to do 3-400 color profiles using these for that a/c during the 1939-40 period. The templates are by-far the most accurate and complete ever attempted, and just books of profiles alone could have a great interest out there. We just haven't gotten far enough to see clearly the way forward on all this yet. Lots of thinking yet to do.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 28th September 2012, 01:23
Alter Hase

edwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Larry,

Thank you for your quick response. I have a small hint of the kind of thinking you mean. Best of luck. Stay healthy.

Regards,
Ed west
Old 28th September 2012, 17:21

Norbert Schuchbauer

Hi Larry,
since German is my native tounge I would be interested in helping with translations if the need is still there.
Regards,

Norbert
Old 28th September 2012, 19:09
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Norbert,

The need is definitely still there. I'll send you a PM to set up contact.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator
Old 20th October 2012, 20:10
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

Just as a follow on to this email, we have located, acquired, digitized and are in the process of creating the maps for the EoE Project showing the front lines on a daily basis for the Polish, Norwegian and Western/French Campaigns of 1939-40. This is just one component of what these maps will contain, which we eventually hope will contain all Allied and Axis airfields used during the campaigns, the dates that air units used these airfields and moved into and out of them, and eventually mission plots of all significant combat missions flown during the 1939-40 time period.

As I suspected there was a series of comprehensive maps created for apparently the entire war on this subject, published beginning back at the end of the 1980s and into the 1990s (and probably continuing). This is part of a series entitled: "Der Zweite Weltkrieg im Kartenbild," and were created from the resources available at the Bundesarchiv. We were only interested in the maps for the 1939-40 period, but I know that the series continued on for additional campaigns further into the war. If anyone is researching the air war and needs this kind of info, I can't recommend this series strongly enough. The volumes of campaign maps we obtained are:

Band 1 "Der Polenfeldzug," Band 2 "Wesserübung," and Band 3 "Der Westfeldzug (10. Mai bis 25. June 1940).

I believe that these are the definitive references on this subject, at least on the German side of the ground war, going down from Army level through Corps, Divisions and even Regiment and Battalion level (at least for the Scandinavian Campaign). These maps do not specifically show the locations of air units nor depict air operational activities. However, if you need to know where the Allied and German lines were at the end of any given day of these campaigns, these are the resources. They were compiled by Klaus-Jürgen Thies, and are printed on large format pages in color, which is especially helpful when the Armies of multiple countries are represented, as during the Western Campaign. The publisher is Biblio Verlag: Osnabrück.

SInce I located this reference source through my posts about this on the LEMB/TOCH Boards, I wanted to acknowledge the people who helped us quickly solve this research problem. My thanks to you all!! Your help with all of my posts on these boards has been greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Larry Hickey
EoE Project Coordinator