Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Old 14th August 2015, 10:11
Super Moderator

Nick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura aboutNick Beale has a spectacular aura about
Re: Hptm Gerhard Plischke, + 17 Nov 39

For what it's worth, the German telephone system has 600+ entries for Plischke and one for Plöschke.
Old 14th August 2015, 10:38
Alter Hase

Stig Jarlevik will become famous soon enough

Can I ask a question since I am a bit confused?

Hopefully Larry's friends can be diverted elsewhere....

When exactly was III./KG 1 formed? Is December 1939 in doubt (I just added the date 15th to Larry's and Doug's book!)

Now if Plischke in fact was St Kap of 3./KG 51 who was St Kap of 8./KG 1 (if in existance) and for that matter 8./KG 51??

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th August 2015, 10:44
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Maj Otto Neuenfeld wast St Kap of 3/KG 51 until his death 7 Nov 39 to be replaced by Hptm (Ernst?) Pflüger? The only mention of 8/KG 1 comes from the RK book for the bio of Henne which says Gerhard Plischke was the St Kap. Henne then went to 5 then Stab II and ultimately 9/KG 51. What would help are the EKMs for Plischke & Henne
Old 14th August 2015, 11:05
Alter Hase

Matti Salonen will become famous soon enough

The names are Hptm Gerhard Plischke, EKM 8./KG 51, Nr. 1 and Hptm Rudolf Henne, EKM 8./KG 51, Nr. 4.

Matti
Old 14th August 2015, 11:26
Alter Hase

Thanks Chris/Matti

Seems pretty settled that Plischke was with 8./KG 51 and that it is either a misprint or mistake in Kaiser's vol 1.

It also seems I can relax with regard to the formation of III./KG 1 and can keep Larry's update intact

Cheers
Stig
Old 14th August 2015, 11:46
Alter Hase

Chris Goss has a spectacular aura aboutChris Goss has a spectacular aura about

Now all I need is confirmation who took over from him (Hptm von Schenk?) and when Hptm Gerd Korthals took over 8/KG 51 (said to be June 1940 but he was still flying with 2/KGr 100 in Jan 41)
Old 14th August 2015, 14:07
Alter Hase

Larry deZeng will become famous soon enoughLarry deZeng will become famous soon enough

Hallelujah! This thread proves it ain’t over ‘til the fat lady sings. Magnificent trawling and digging, guys.

It looks like the EKMs may be the final determinant for name spellings and units. I knew these had survived the war, reportedly being captured at some sort of personnel records depot in the Eifel area near the end of the war and turned over to the CIC. But I have no idea where they are today or that private researchers had copies of them. I assume they are part of the haul that eventually ended up at WASt in Berlin.

L.

P.S. not to worry, Peter, my motorcycle thugs have packed their bags, chugged their last pint and returned to the U.S. Southwest on Virgin Atlantic. Unfortunately for them, they had to leave their Harleys behind in care of the British National Party.
Old 14th August 2015, 19:08
Alter Hase

Larry Hickey

Hello,

This raises the question about the unit attribution of other a/c lost from KG51 on leaflet dropping missions that night.

I have (Peter's work):

"17 November 1939: 1./KG51 Heinkel He111H. Took-off for leaflet-dropping mission between Nantes and Brest but became disorientated and blown off course in severe storm conditions, crashed at Marzia, north-west of Merano, in northern Italy. (Beo) Oberlt Klaus Pfordte, (Bf) Uffz Karl Hosel, (Neither found in VDK) and (Bm) Uffz Heinz Reschke killed, pilot badly injured. Aircraft 100% write-off."

and:

"17 November 1939: 3./KG51 Heinkel He111H-2 (2759). Took-off for leaflet-dropping mission between Nantes and Brest but became disorientated and blown off course in severe storm conditions and crashed at Leongang-Steinberge, east of Saalfelden, Zell am See, Austria. FF Oberlt Helmut Domke, BO Fw Wilhelm Trautner, BM Uffz Erhard Tesch, and BF Uffz Wilhelm Altmann all believed unhurt. Aircraft 9K+LL 100% write-off. (Matti)
(Note: Revised per 1/21/15 PC email)."

Are the names and Staffel assignments of these still correct?

Also, are any photos known of the crashes of any of these three aircraft? As you all know by now, we're trying to match all the Phoney War/Sitzkrief losses/force landings with photos of each incident. An impossibly task, I know, but we've made a lot of progress with this beyond what has been published in Peter C.'s book on "The Battle of France Then and Now."
Old 14th August 2015, 20:05
Alter Hase

No idea Larry H

But, since Larry de Z has sent his 'pals' packing, I am curious why the pilot (at this time) in WNr 2759 was higher in rank than the BO who, if I have understood anything right, was supposed to be in command of the aircraft?

Also why can't both I./KG 51 and III./KG 51 have been on missions at the same time?

Cheers
Stig
Old 7th January 2016, 10:31

Karsten is on a distinguished road

Hi together,

the Name of the crasg is Untertilli[b]ach in Eastern-Tirol

Rüdiger