Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Allied and Soviet Air Forces

Allied and Soviet Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the Air Forces of the Western Allies and the Soviet Union.

Old 30th December 2005, 15:25

Andy Mac
Re: Force-landed Typhoon information needed...

http://www.oliversart.co.uk/acatalog...at-falaise.htm

Why doesn't someone ask Nicholas Trudgian where he got hid research from ? Or was it a nice touch of artistic licence!

Nice painting regardless.
Old 30th December 2005, 15:26

Andy Mac

http://www.oliversart.co.uk/acatalog...at-falaise.htm
Old 30th December 2005, 15:53

SMF144

Andy,

The colour of squadron codes and spinners are two different matters. There are many pictures to support the fact that Typhoon spinners were painted either, yellow, red or blue or whatever. When it comes to the colour of code letters, there were rules and regs layed down by RAF and AM and these had to be followed, no matter what.

Yes, it's an okay painting.

Stephen
Old 30th December 2005, 16:20
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Steven, you live out in the boonies?

What does one see on other a/c that had the upper part of the Invasion stripes removed. Did the color of the sqd code/a/c ID letter change? None that I have come across, yet.

The pics I was refering to were of TP-V.
Old 30th December 2005, 16:30

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF144
Another point to consider, and Chris touches on this, is how memories or black and white photos are interpreted. Case in point is an early short-lived recognition aid that was applied to the spinner on the Typhoons. The first half of the spinner was painted white while the rest was dark green. Now, this has been interpreted as being white and red and consequently this shows up on plastic scale model box art , profiles and in decals and consequently, due to the lack of knowledge or research, the domino effect starts.
Stephen,

When you say short lived what timeframe are we talking here? 1944?

I just have a few comments on paints used. As I've understood from factory pics the Sky band could be applied quite early in the process. Aircraft were delivered without codes and the letters were very often painted at squadron level, leading to the paint appearing different in both bw and colour pictures. One must also remember that brush applied paints will reflect light quite differently from paint sprayed directly on smooth primer. In short we're talking A LOT of different factors that needs to taken into account when interpreting.
Also I have seen a picture of a typhoon with factory applied full invasion stripes. And I can't imagine the squadron letters having been applied beforehand.
One thing: Has anyone seen ANY 198 Sqn Typhoons showing the port side? I'm sure that would answer a lot of questions, as the lettering surely had to be applied in a different way with the TP codes in front of the roundel...

As for Trudgians paintings they are pretty but to me it seems his research can be so so, my reference being his Tirpitz Lancs over something resembling the Swiss alps

Kyrre
Old 30th December 2005, 16:31

SMF144

Kutscha,

Where-in-the hell do you live, eh? I conider anyone living outside of Canada to be in the boonies!

Stephen
Old 30th December 2005, 17:01
Alter Hase

Kutscha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF144
Kutscha,

Where-in-the hell do you live, eh? I conider anyone living outside of Canada to be in the boonies!
Stephen
About 15 minutes from you, by Uplands.

Kyrre, not a 198 a/c but 137 a/c and the a/c ID letter and sqd code paint is the same. The upper portion of the Invasion stripes has been removed. One would think that if the upper portion had been removed as Steven suggested that the a/c ID letter would be different.

Quote:
When it comes to the colour of code letters, there were rules and regs layed down by RAF and AM and these had to be followed, no matter what.
Not all the time. In the Thomas/Shores book there is a pic of MN602, DP-H, with the sqd code after the roundel. (port side view)
Old 30th December 2005, 17:51

atckyrre is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kutscha
Not all the time. In the Thomas/Shores book there is a pic of MN602, DP-H, with the sqd code after the roundel. (port side view)
Not having seen the photo one could easily think that this is because the individual letter was painted in front of the roundel on both sides while the stripes were in place. Upon removal the squadron codes were painted where there was space available!

And one were to think that German marking practises were hard to reasearch...

Old 31st December 2005, 15:00
Alter Hase

Franek Grabowski is on a distinguished road

Gosh! So many posts but you do not even know if the aircraft ever had full stripes applied!
As to RAF Sqn codes - this was customary within units if individual code was in front or in the back of roundel (on both sides), or on starboard or port of roundel on both sides.
Old 31st December 2005, 19:37

brewerjerry

Hi,
Just my two pence, rules and regs were not always followed, the AMO lists for example ASR a/c as having dull red code letters, but most sources show the a/c carried yellow code letters.
As said tho, until as colour photo is found , it will never be proved what colour it is.
Happy new year to all, may it bring many new discoveries...
Cheers
Jerry