Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum  

Go Back   Luftwaffe and Allied Air Forces Discussion Forum > Discussion > Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces

Luftwaffe and Axis Air Forces Please use this forum to discuss the German Luftwaffe and the Air Forces of its Allies.

Closed Thread

Old 14th May 2016, 08:08

Nick Hector will become famous soon enoughNick Hector will become famous soon enough
Re: New Me109 Wreck Discovered. ** Some Graphic Content

Quote:
Originally Posted by piero View Post
I also think that some previous comments are too superficial, heavy and rude
Giampiero Piva
I couldn't help how this clip made me feel and had no hesitation in stating so. Sorry if that was superficial, heavy or rude.... Call it the truth.
Old 14th May 2016, 09:18
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Crude and rude method however.
That was about the method deployed by the team (call it dig or sa(u)lvage), which lacks sensitivity/tact before sending it to the world's eyes.
As an amateur (and not archaeologist) I use to manage recoveries, now with authority collaboration. There are basic rules as such as... "not digging above the wreckage, if deeper, go larger, etc."

So back to the topic, dig done, hoping the artefacts will return to the family.

ClinA-78
Old 14th May 2016, 09:31
Alter Hase

Brian Bines is on a distinguished road

To me a grave robber is someone who intrudes on a formal burial site for financial gain. Again only my opinon but in this case the location was a unknown place of death rather than a formal or registered grave and without the dig the location of the death of this pilot would have remained unknown . Hopefully any human remains found will be treated with respect and given a formal resting place as Andrey indicates. While their methods are described as crude are they not the same methods employed by recovery groups elsewhere . I was more concerned that as shown on other vids of recoveries deep excavations with vertical sides are being entered and undermined at depth without any shoring. With such deep digs those working in them are putting themselves at considerable risk of a possible collapse, sometimes caused by the weight of the digger at the edge of the dig. Without shoring the dig sides should be angled back to reduce the risk of collapse. This would of course result in a much bigger hole and would need a larger digger with a longer arm . I suppose though because there has been no report of any collapse on such digs the risks will continue to be taken . At least it appears that the remains of this pilot will now be placed amonst his comrades in a formal grave . No offence meant to anyone just my thoughts .
Old 14th May 2016, 14:16

sidney is on a distinguished road
Re: Is that Prestone (German equivalent) coolant in the hole?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncazonk View Post
At the 4:18 min mark (in the video) a green fluid appears in the bottom of the hole (that was dry before and dry after) and it's plainly visible until the 5:00 min mark. The liquid looks identical to the Prestone coolant then in use by American liquid-cooled aircraft, and I assume the backhoe punctured the header tank. Does this seem plausible?

Bronc
No, it does not. It was written (in Russian though) that these guys were about to pour a mix of antifreeze and hydraulic liquid over the ground, probably to soften it up.

I would not call them grave robbers. They documented their find on camera and posted it on the internet, which is something that no grave robber would ever contemplate to do. To me, we can discuss about the methods, but it all seems fair play.

Regards,
Sinisa

Last edited by sidney; 14th May 2016 at 18:26.
Old 14th May 2016, 20:26
Alter Hase

ClinA-78 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No, it does not. It was written (in Russian though) that these guys were about to pour a mix of antifreeze and hydraulic liquid over the ground, probably to soften it up.
So if they poured that mix, they really deserved the crude method! The soil seems already soggy. However, the wreckage, itself, is a source of pollution...
I am rather thinking about Farbbeutel? I have already seen that kind of greenish color.

ClinA-78
Old 14th May 2016, 21:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClinA-78 View Post
... However, the wreckage, itself, is a source of pollution...
I am rather thinking about Farbbeutel? I have already seen that kind of greenish color. ClinA-78
After 70+ years being buried in the ground, I would not expect any liquid remaining in aircraft as a potential source of pollution. However, if you want to believe that it was the case, that is alright - I provided you with the correct translation, you draw your own conclusions.
Old 14th May 2016, 21:43

Andrey Kuznetsov is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidney View Post
pour a mix of antifreeze and hydraulic liquid over the ground, probably to soften it up.
In the video and on the forum they says it is a mix of liquids from the Bf109 systems. The wreck lays on the clay sheet so the liquid remained on the place.
Old 14th May 2016, 21:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey Kuznetsov View Post
In the video and on the forum they says it is a mix of liquids from the Bf109 systems. The wreck lays on the clay sheet so the liquid remained on the place.
Thank you for the translation proper. My apology.
Old 15th May 2016, 21:53

VtwinVince is on a distinguished road

It's common knowledge that the Russians are looting war graves all over eastern Europe, do a search and you'll find all the videos. I don't see how these guys are much different, ripping jewelry off the fingers of dead people. Revolting. Period.
Old 15th May 2016, 23:03

Boris Ciglic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtwinVince View Post
It's common knowledge that the Russians are looting war graves all over eastern Europe, do a search and you'll find all the videos. I don't see how these guys are much different, ripping jewelry off the fingers of dead people. Revolting. Period.
And where is the market for this stuff? What's the difference between the evil, ugly and dirty looters in Russia (or in Cambodia in the 70s, or Iraq and Syria today) and shiny, happy and wealthy collectors in the west? To me they are the same sort of scum. And in this particular case I can only see that an aviator will receive a decent burial after more than 70 years.

Boris
Closed Thread